New 'Artists Giving Back' Forum

Old announcement of past promotion rounds and updates to Wolfhome.
Layla
Ethereal Ancestor
Ethereal Ancestor

Couldt you make a forum for users art requests and then a forum for artists giving back?
That way the posts wouldnt get mixed and you could still request things??
I like having the freebie forums because people do answer me when i ask for art.
And i answer other users and try to give them some also. Or maybe a topic for users to post a thread asking for art for their characters with one thread per person, where you can switch out the characters you want art for and then check other users thread to see which of their characters need art?? Make sense??
Fandango
The stuff of Legends
The stuff of Legends
Pronouns: she/her/they/them

Pride

It seems simple enough really, if you're wanting free poses, colouring, lining etc then you simply search through the posts and find someone offering that service. If nobody is offering then perhaps nobody is willing to do it right now so asking would be a waste of time anyway. After creating a new character you could post it in your art thread and ask for free things there which is an alternative.
There is also the simple fact that if you want to surprise someone with some nice work then go searching through the References section and dig up their characters so you can be super surprising.
This will create a lot less clutter and a lot less topics being made for free art which often get pushed back into the discarded old inactive topics because there aren't always people leaping to make free art. It takes up a lot of room.

I like this idea, much cleaner :)

you only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves - mary oliver

previously Mitchiko

Tat
Spirit Guide - Wise Healer

I think the biggest issue people have (myself excluded of course) is that they want to be able to go and openly ask for art of a specific character on a sole topic, which would increasingly clutter the forum with a million topics, and also increase their chances of getting chosen to get free art. Honestly, though, beggars can't be choosers and we all have to wait our turn. I'm not intending (at all in any way D:) to sound rude or mean, I understand why users would be apprehensive to have this put into action. In the end I think it will benefit everyone more this way. :>
T4T
Phantom
Ethereal Ancestor
Ethereal Ancestor
Preferred Name: Sable

Pride

okay my brain can't function to read ALL of the comments. But I was thinking maybe to organize the free section, add little sections for each thing! pose services, art requests, free art, free characters and etc.
♡ 10.21.23 ♡
Layla
Ethereal Ancestor
Ethereal Ancestor

Teak wrote:okay my brain can't function to read ALL of the comments. But I was thinking maybe to organize the free section, add little sections for each thing! pose services, art requests, free art, free characters and etc.
That sounds neat
birdie
The stuff of Legends
The stuff of Legends
Pronouns: sher
Preferred Name: birdie, whimsy, HUSH
Species: idiot

i think we should stick with what they're doing with the AGB board for a while, and if we feel like we need something like the freebie thread/a rendition of it, we can probably post in the suggestions board :b

i much more enjoy the idea of AGB because it just sounds... nicer. giving rather than taking. there are honestly a TON of alternatives for requesting things. there's a wanted section, and you can always see if anyone would be willing to do something for you for a very low price or for free if they're up to it.
in the service section i found five threads where users were offering grayscaling/shading/colouring/etc for less than .2 deltas. some were even as low as .03 deltas for colouring! if you do the FB wolfhome deal you get .05 a day; you could easily get enough deltas to get a pose coloured by someone by just logging into facebook.
there are tons of contests the EC puts out that offers delta prizes.

not having the ability to straight up ask for free art whenever you want will probably teach some monetary skills to a lot of WH, too.(; if you want it, save up. i think that's fair.

i personally think a lot of the issues people are having with this is because they're having a hard time with it being 'taken away' from them. when it's not; not completely. like i said, there are a LOT of alternatives you can figure out once it's gone, if you reeeeeeeaaally need to ask for free things. there are other websites, too.(;

of transparency, shut downs, and plot
I know of no reason why the transparency and shut downs should ever be forgot

XVII days

Quentin
Spellweaver and Wordsmith

I like this idea too.

Excited for it to open. And just to clarify, since I'm a bit confused.
The free part of the forums will be replaced by the "Artists giving back"
Say I'm wanting a ref remake for free. There is no place to ask for this unless an artist has opened a topic saying "Yes I'm going to be doing free ref remakes" or along those lines?
Not that I ask for those but I'm just curious so I know what's going on.
"No, you cannot be her. She is far away, she is far, far away from me. She walks in starlight in another world. It was just a dream…. Do you think she could have loved me?"

DeviantArt • Characters
Firenze
Adept Protector
Adept Protector
Species: Cow with guns

I personally think this is a great idea :)

Looking forward to this new section!
More than meets the eye.
Phantom
Ethereal Ancestor
Ethereal Ancestor
Preferred Name: Sable

Pride

I think it's great as well.

Only suggested what I suggested because some people seemed a little unhappy with the idea.

It'll lead to things being so much easier for artists and the organization of the forum too.
♡ 10.21.23 ♡
Xina
Pronouns: She/Her
Preferred Name: Taylor

I'm iffy about this idea. I'm willing to give it a few weeks to see how it turns out, but if there is still no way to post something like "Wanted: Good colorer who is not swamped with other poses they are coloring for free" then it is not going to be fair or liked.

For example: Person A and person B both offer free poses in this new fourm. Person A has great art skills and their poses are really popular and in high demand. While person B is a newer artist and their art is not the greatest, but still decent. Almost everyone will post on person A's topic wanting a pose from them and they will get swamped and not everyone who posts will get their request filled. Person B starts to feel like their art is bad since no one wants it. This will make Person A stressed from all the requests and person B feel bad about their art since no one wants it.

Now take it with how the free services forum is now: Person C posts a topic and is asking for someone to draw their new character some poses or artwork. Person A is too busy with all the requests from the AGB forum. Person B sees person C's topic and draws them a pose and person C is happy that someone drew their character and they did not have to pick someone in the AGB forum to do it. Person C does not want to have to spam the AGB forums and post on everyones topic to get some art of their character, instead they just posted and let anyone who wanted to draw their character do so.

Not sure if it has been stated already or not, but I would prefer that ABG be a sub-forum of the Free Services. So that way we can still ask anyone-who-wants-to to draw out character/color poses/etc OR just request a single artist to do whatever we need.
Life's a bitch, so if it's easy, you're doing it wrong.
newmoon
Pack Initiate
Pack Initiate

It'll be nice to see "I give I give I give!" instead of "I want I want I want!" on the forums. I look forward to this new start.
Koi

newmoon wrote:It'll be nice to see "I give I give I give!" instead of "I want I want I want!" on the forums. I look forward to this new start.
duo
The stuff of Legends
The stuff of Legends

this seems like a nice change and i am excited to see it :)
Quentin

Nook wrote:
newmoon wrote:It'll be nice to see "I give I give I give!" instead of "I want I want I want!" on the forums. I look forward to this new start.
"No, you cannot be her. She is far away, she is far, far away from me. She walks in starlight in another world. It was just a dream…. Do you think she could have loved me?"

DeviantArt • Characters
newmoon
Pack Initiate
Pack Initiate

Xina wrote:For example: Person A and person B both offer free poses in this new fourm. Person A has great art skills and their poses are really popular and in high demand. While person B is a newer artist and their art is not the greatest, but still decent. Almost everyone will post on person A's topic wanting a pose from them and they will get swamped and not everyone who posts will get their request filled. Person B starts to feel like their art is bad since no one wants it. This will make Person A stressed from all the requests and person B feel bad about their art since no one wants it.
Now, I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, but if these people want to be in some sort of art career, which a lot do here, then... well, they're going to have to get used to that, and step up to the challenge. Life isn't fair, and the art world is a harsh one. If they want to be artist A, then they need to put in the same amount of time and effort into their work that artist A did.

Also, what's stopping artist B from doing art work for whomever the heck they want? Just go through the character threads and pick someone. No one said people HAVE to ask for something. If you like their character, then do it because you want to.
Locked Previous topicNext topic