Remembrance Day closed

Eventful
Event Planner
Event Planner

Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:25 pm

People gather on November 11 to honour the courage and devotion of brave men and women who made the supreme sacrifice of dying for their country. The hostilities of the First World War ceased on November 11, 1918, at 11:00 a.m. the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month.
We mark November 11th as a day to remember and honour those who died, as well as to give thanks for the sacrifices of those who came back from serving their country.

To honour those who have, and who are selflessly serving their countries so that we may experience and enjoy freedom today. We ask you to write either a poem or something nice about a loved one you know who is serving, has served or have lost while serving. It may be a pet, family member, friend, aquaintance or whoever. You may also draw (sketch, finished, etc) a memorial piece or something to honour them.

Act of Remembrance
They shall grow not old,
as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them,
nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun
and in the morning
We will remember them.

Everyone and anyone who participates will receive a participation prize, this will run until November 24th.

poppies (c) , Hannnnnnnn @dAImLauraa @dA
Last edited by Eventful on Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

isaradia
IT'S OVER 9000!
IT'S OVER 9000!
Species: Dracavian

Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:29 pm

my step dad, who might as well be my actual dad i've never known otherwise, who saved my mom and her two children from a difficult and downward spiraling life. he served in the army for 20 something years, taking us with him over seas to wiesbaden germany for 4 years and all over the US. he was injured while on tour in iraq and was given an honorable discharge and purple heart but mark deserves the world and more. he is an incredible father and was an even better soldier. he loved his military job and lifestyle and misses it more than anything. he is literally the savior of so many people. not just in the army and in iraq but here at home. he saved my mom and raised my sister and i. welcomed friends and family into our home if they needed a place to stay. spent TONS AND TONS OF MONEY on people in need omg. it's so bad he is so fucking nice.

my dad served in the army and shaped who i am today. i don't know where we would be without him in our lives and i know plenty of people who could say the exact same thing.
0 x

Hocus
Event Committee
Event Committee
Species: werewolf

Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:55 pm

my dad is in the national guard and has been since he was 18 (he's 45 now) almost 30 years O_O and he served 3 tours over seas. my dad has always tried to get me to join the military but i just don't want to. but i'm really thankful for my dad and the things he does for this country. his entire life is the military and he loves everything about it. he has a purple heart and it always reminds me of how i almost lost my dad!!!! ahhhh so scary

but idk my life would be so much different if my dad wasn't in the military. its also really cool because i rescued a dog from afghanistan as a result of him being a soldier. i'm really proud of him because he has a really high rank and he deserves it. and he only wants the best for me and i owe it all to this
0 x

Kewl
IT'S OVER 2 9000'S!
IT'S OVER 2 9000'S!

Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:24 am

My friends brother is in the Marines and he's been serving for a few years now. My friend just went off to bootcamp last month to also go into the Marines, so I miss them both now. I know they're doing good things for our Country, and they both love what they're doing.

I just hope they both return home safely some day <3
0 x

<3 Rest in Peace Mommy. 9.26.17 I love you with all my heart <3
~»»3.3.14««~
Characters

vice
The stuff of Legends
The stuff of Legends
Preferred Name: al

Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:28 am

my friend's father was in the navy and he had to retire because of a critical heart condition
I love that man so much, he's so nice and funny and the fact that he was willing to risk his health to join the navy just really spoke highly of who he is as a person
he's a wonderful father who has an amazing family, and I'm very happy to know all of them
0 x

if i had a heart i could love you
if i had a voice i would sing

dAlinksart

Aeolia
Alpha - Head of Event Committee

Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:32 am

My dad was in the RC Navy for 36 years and reached PO1 before retiring and getting his shadow box a couple years ago.
As I was growing up he was always away for 6 months at a time and we often got to visit him on his posted ship (where we collected a lot of stickers... and he would always sneak us even more, and give us tours). He got to travel all over the world and he loved every minute of being a sailor. His and our worst year was in 2001. My dad was one of the first Canadians to deploy for Afghanistan on a campaign against terrorism; he was posted to one of the Naval vessels that were to depart immediately. I remember a lot of people in my school saying my dad wasn't going to come back, and that he would lose his life there (obviously a lot crueler than that, since 10 year olds aren't very nice ): ) and I had nightmares for a long time about him being at the bottom of the sea somewhere. That was the hardest six months for all of us. I would always email him and give him "The live at home news featuring star reporter, your favourite daughter" which he later told me he showed his pals and it brought on a lot of laughs. He even gave us permission to get our first dog in a long time, though we refrained from telling him she was part great dane :'), which he in turn freaked out about hehe. Luckily, he came back. Sadly, not quite himself. It's not something he talks about, or wants to talk about, and my dad always loved sharing his funny encounters while on his worldy adventures. He is such a wonderful person, he would give anything and everything to help a friend or a stranger in need. (heck he even collects/keeps basically everything because you will never know who will need that old screw that he found on the side of the road (someone needed something obscure that he had once in the last 10 years and he's convinced it will happen again)). He's been working through his PTSD these last 15 years and he's been so much better, he's slowly getting back to his old self (a santa claus jokester) and always has a twinkle in his eyes.

I am really lucky and grateful for my "big king daddy-o". as embarrassing as that is we still call him that
He is a big part of who I am, and who I strive to become.

I know a lot more people who have served and who will serve. I will sadly not be attending a remembrance day service, due to it not being a statutory holiday in my current country of residence, but my heart and thoughts will be there. They will be with my dad, who leads the service in our hometown (you wouldn't want him to yell at you!!), my mom, who always marches alongside him, the many legion, navy, army and air veterans, officers, members and volunteers who are serving, who will serve, those who have returned and those who will never. I cannot express the amount of gratitude and respect I have for each and every one of them. Thank you so much for everything you have done, and will do for your country and it's safety.
0 x
"Ask yourself whether you are happy, and you cease to be so." - J.S. Mill
ART THREAD|pixel bebs|Adoption Centre |/size]

sammie
Ethereal Ancestor
Ethereal Ancestor

Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:11 am

Both my great grandfathers served. One in WWII and one in Vietnam.

I never really got to tell them how proud I really was of them because I was too young to understand. I go visit their gravestones, and talk with them every once in a while to tell them how my life is going, and I tell them how much I miss seeing their faces, and I really wish they were around. I feel like they're not as proud of me, as I thought. But, I now hope they understand how much I appreciate, love, and are so proud of them and the life they had. They're two amazing people.

I always will remember you, everyday. But, the people will remember and recognize you this coming Friday.

Always with love-
Your great grand-daughter
Samantha <3
0 x

You're a sky full of stars
| hiatus | contact |

Inzi
Shaman - Secret Keeper
Shaman - Secret Keeper

Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:40 am

oh yes yes yes i love this thread because it's so important for the city I live in!! ((ypres))

i'll be making art later probably but i just wanted to share this because we were really proud of it.
two years ago my class and i were asked to join into this world war rememberance together with people from the UK - France - Germany.
We were with around 50 people aging from 17 to 25 who joined this thing together, we visited the threnches and visited old graves.
The last one we visited was a German grave in Langemark - here lie 44 thousand germans who fought against us.

The reason I feel like posting this is because this moment really touched me, we made this at the german grave with this touching history. It's also called the "studentenfriedhof", literally - grave of students. People our age, I don't think most of us can imagine going at war at our age.. it was very confronting.
21th october 1914 the german army used two reserve troops to attack Ypres - they lost almost every one from these troops only because they were unexperienced. they used students in their armies to fight experienced armies and they lost. In the picture if you look close enough you'll see "peace uber alles"
This refers to the song the students sang before they were killed off: deutschland uber alles.

so here, not mine, but our drawing to remember those who fought for freedom. not only those who fought for our country, but also those of the other countries!
0 x

on a break.
for anyone trying to find me, my discord: iinzi#2963

Epilepsy
Spellweaver and Wordsmith
Pronouns: She/her
Preferred Name: Haley
Species: Coyote

Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:02 pm

I love all of these so far guys<3
0 x
06/28/17

Aeolia

Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:15 am

You can even write about the remembrance day services you attended, we would love to hear about them.
0 x
"Ask yourself whether you are happy, and you cease to be so." - J.S. Mill
ART THREAD|pixel bebs|Adoption Centre |/size]

Epilepsy
Pronouns: She/her
Preferred Name: Haley
Species: Coyote

Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:58 pm

3 more days guys!
0 x
06/28/17

Eventful
Event Planner
Event Planner

Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:37 pm

Thank you all for participating. This is now closed.

Everyone who participated has received perms of a pose made by Aeolia and lined by Vice!!

Perms: Isaradia, Hocus, Kewl, Vice, Aeolia, Sammie, Inzi
Thank you again for participating!! :smile:
0 x

Inzi
Shaman - Secret Keeper
Shaman - Secret Keeper

Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:37 pm

Aw that's so cute! thanks! :D
0 x

on a break.
for anyone trying to find me, my discord: iinzi#2963

• Information