Fall Food Favorites

Looking to get more involved in the community? Community events and get-togethers are added here by the Event Committee, Relations Team and the Administration.
Eventful
Event Planner
Event Planner

Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:52 am

Whether it’s butternut squash soup, pot roast, or pumpkin bread, everyone has a favorite dish that just screams “autumn!” We are hosting a seasonal cooking event with a twist - a recipe swap!

This event will take place over the course of two months. For the first month all participants will post their favorite fall recipes and I will compile them in a master list.

At the end of the month, each participant will “claim” a recipe that they would like to make. Each recipe may only be claimed by one user, and they will be first come, first served once the claiming period begins.
*please let us know if you have a food allergy or dietary restriction and need a specific recipe* If there are more recipes than participants, you may claim an additional recipe after everyone has chosen a first.

All participants will have the second month to prepare their dish. After you have cooked the recipe you selected, post a picture and a few sentences about the experience!

You get to eat the delicious food you prepared! You will also earn a stamp to be redeemed in our Treasure Chest.

In addition, Cider will design a printable recipe book for all of the participants to download that will include all of the submissions.

You have between Friday, September 17th and Saturday, October 9th to sign up and post your recipe.

You will have the week of October 10th - October 17th to claim the recipe you would like to cook. Please wait until all recipes have been claimed before cooking your dish to ensure you don’t have to swap with someone for any reason.

You will have from October 18th to November 20th to make and share your recipe! Cider will put together the recipe book just in time for you to try something out for Thanksgiving in the US!

- Cider
- Phlox
- Appa
- birdie
- Avani
- Aurocard
- Spellbound

Apple Cider

Artisan Rosemary Bread

Autumn Apple Ginger Cheesecake

Chili Sweet Potato Chips

Crock Pot Ham

Funeral Spread/Bologna Salad

Mashed Potatoes

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

Slow Cooker Root Beer Chicken

Soft & Chewy Candy Corn Cookies

White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies

Winter Squash and Kale Pasta

Check back soon!

If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to Eventful, Cider, or any member of the Event Committee. We can’t wait to see what you cook up!

Credits:
Pixel Art by King-Lulu-Deer
Photography by Joanna Kosinska for Unsplash

7 x
Phlox
Omega - Newcomer
Omega - Newcomer
Pronouns: She/her
Species: Dog

Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:59 pm

Ooo!!! This is right up my alley!!

Apple cider!
12 apples, 2 oranges, a few cinnamon sticks (powdered regular cinnamon can work, just add a few pinches, but whole cinnamon is best), 1 tablespoon whole cloves, and a few pinches of nutmeg, and your choice if sweetener (brown sugar, maple syrup, and honey work best, or a combo of honey and sugar) and this is best done in a slow cooker.

You want to take 12 apples of varied kinds, some sweet and some tart, (granny smiths, gala, Fuji, and red delicious apples are my go to combo), and slice them into quarters. Quarter two oranges, if you want less tartness peel the oranges, and add them to the pot. Take anywhere from 3-5 cinnamon sticks and add, a tablespoon of whole cloves, and 2 teaspoons of nutmeg.

Optional: A teaspoon of allspice, and a teaspoon of ginger.

Cover the apples, oranges, and spices with about a half inch to inch of water, and heat to a simmer. For a slow cooker, this usually means put on high to medium high.
Turn the heat down to keep it at a simmer, and let it cook until the apples are soft and mushy.

This is usually about 2 hours to simmer, but in the past it's taken my closer to 3.

Strain all the chunks and apples out with cheese cloth or food strainer, mashing the fruit against the strainer to get the juices out.

After all the solids are removed, add your sweetener. It usually takes about 1/2 cup of brown sugar or whatever you chose, but you can add more or less depending on your taste preferences. It will be VERY bitter until the sweetener is added, I suggest tasting it as you go.

-------------------

White chocolate macadamia nut cookies

https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/super ... t-cookies/

It's this recipe, I can copy/paste ingredients and what to do if necessary, but this is the recipe I always use for white chocolate macadamia cookies, and it's THE BEST.
You MUST freeze the dough for at least two hours before baking, bake only one batch at a time.

------------

My family's style of mashed potatoes

This is a very loose recipe, but easy to follow and hard to mess up.

3 potatoes then +2 per person you're preparing this for, use red potatoes or the regular brown ones.
Cube the potatoes then boil them until they soften, with a little bit of salt added to the water.
You can boil covered or uncovered, but the water really likes to froth up and try to overspill, a wooden spoon across the top can help prevent that.
Depending on how many potatoes the cook time varies, but for me it's usually under 30 minutes.

After they are completely soft, use a fork to poke at them, drain the water out completely then while still hot, add 1-2 tablespoons of butter, 2 teaspoons roughly of salt and black pepper, then add a splash of milk.

Mash/cream with a mixer or with a potato masher- if it's still crumbly, add a little more milk until they get nice and creamy. If it tastes a little bland, add a little more salt or pepper.

You can also opt to add a little bit of garlic or onion powder, or your choice of spices.

------------
Nelson's Family Funeral Spread/Bologna Salad

So this recipe is a family recipe, and is a way of making bologna salad. We call it funeral spread because we make it usually just during my dad's side of the family's funerals or get togethers. I can do the whole thing cooking blogs do and add a life story if you want. :P

This one is also a loose recipe, but it's hard to mess up.

Get some nice bologna from a deli, not the cheap slices.
Some sweet pickles and mayonnaise or miracle whip.

Optional- add diced onions.

Grind or mash up the bologna into a paste, combine with a few ground/chopped up sweet pickles, and a couple spoonfuls of mayo or miracle whip.

Combine, and it done. Serve as a dip for crackers or how we eat it, as a sandwich with bread.

You can add a bit of black pepper.

It sounds gross, but it tastes really good- like really, really good.

------

Dietary restrictions for me:
I can't have excess eggs or lots of onions, body won't tolerate them, and I prefer low sugar plant or lean meat based foods because of the diet I follow

I know my recipes aren't exactly healthy, I don't eat them often, but they do taste good, pinkie promise

If I can get my husband's side of the family's recipes for autumn must haves I'll share those as well!
6 x
Cider
Event Committee
Event Committee
Pronouns: She/Her

Pride

Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:17 pm

These all sound great, Citrus! Thanks for sharing. :)
2 x

Previously MrFunGuy on chat, now Cider on both.

Cider
Event Committee
Event Committee

Pride

Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:47 pm

Let’s see those recipes Wolfhome!
1 x

Cider
Event Committee
Event Committee

Pride

Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:16 pm

Hey, don’t forget to sign up and share your recipes!
1 x

Appa
Apprentice
Apprentice
Pronouns: They/Them
Preferred Name: Allie

Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:28 pm

I want to share a recipe just cause I saw this and want to try it!

Soft & Chewy Candy Corn Cookies

Ingredients

2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup room temp butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp corn starch
1 Tbs vanilla flavoring
1 cup candy corn

Instructions
  • In a large bowl, combine butter, sugar and brown sugar with a hand mixer until mixture is light and fluffy
  • Add in vanilla and egg and blend
  • Slowly add in flour, corn starch, baking soda and salt and mix until a soft, thick dough forms
  • Add in candy corn and stir gently
  • Refrigerate for 1 hour or longer (prevents cookies from spreading when baking)
  • Preheat oven to 350 F and spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray
  • Using your hands, roll a heaping tablespoon of the dough into small balls and place about an inch or more apart from each other
*IMPORTANT- Make sure when forming each ball that there is not a piece of candy corn visible on the underside or the side of each ball (Candy corn showing on the top is fine). Any contact the candy corn has with the baking sheet will result in a puddle of baked liquid candy corn under each cookie. Covering any visible candy corn with a pinch of dough should help*
Bake for 8-10 minutes

*Note - cookies may appear under cooked when first removed from oven. Do NOT cook any longer - the cookies will continue to set while left to cool on the cookie sheet
Allow to cool at least 10 minutes before serving
4 x
birdie
The stuff of Legends
The stuff of Legends
Pronouns: sher
Preferred Name: birdie, whimsy, HUSH
Species: idiot

Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:00 pm

pumpkin chocolate chip cookies!!!!!!!!!!

Super moist n tasty and u can use the pumpkin to justify eating 20 cos ~healthy vegetable~
They're good for up to 4 days when covered, and freeze them for later for up to 4 months :)

INGREDIENTS:

♥ 1 cup pumpkin puree (can use fresh pumpkin that has been pureed; just remove excess moisture by squishing it out a bit) (I just use canned lol)
♥ 1 cup sugar
♥ 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
♥ 1 large egg
♥ 1 tablespoon vanilla
♥ 2 cups flour
♥ 1 teaspoon baking powder
♥ 1 teaspoon cinnamon
♥ OPTIONAL: 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice mix (reccomended cos tasty but who has pumpkin spice on hand u feel me), 2 if you really love it
♥ 1/2 teaspoon salt
♥ 1-2 cups chocolate chips (I like the teenie tiny ones, and can be any type of chocolate. I really like these with white or dark chocolate, personally!)
♥ Whatever else you want like nuts or whatever. Dried cranberries are actually pretty alright, even

THE COOKING PROCESS AND THINGS:

♥ preheat oven to 350°F/whatever it is in Celsius idk I'm American
♥ Don't forget to get your pan ready. I always forget until I'm about to scoop. I use parchment paper, personally, but obv nonstick is a+ option. If you don't got that just lightly spray/oil whatever you've got

♥ Mix all the wet junk and sugar. The pumpkin, oil, vanilla, egg. You don't have to use a mixer. I just use a spoon. Lol
♥ Mix in the rest of the stuff except the chocolate chips/any additions. Mix it until it is... Mixed.
♥ This is when you add the chips n shit

♥ Put on pan. I just plop various sized blobs on the pan because who has time to like....... Have exact scoops....... I sure don't......
♥ Bake 10-13 minutes depending on how big/small your lumps are. Cook until the bottoms are a not-burnt brown. I'm a renegade and like them gooey and slightly undercooked so my bottoms are more like....... Slightly tinged.......... If you don't like undercooked cookies, just back in 1-2 minute increments until they're where you'd like them. Or just say screw it, close enough and take them out.
♥ Cool them if you want I sure don't. I willingly burn my mouth for Tasty Fall Goodness because life is too short

They'll come out p ugly but that's what makes them extra charming. Sometimes I'll not mix in the chocolate chips so I can instead stick them on top in jack-o'-lantern patterns after I scoop and before I bake because it's cute. Lumpy cookie pumpkins. Gorgeous

ANYWAY yes. These are cookies my entire family and even my picky as hell bf gobble up within 3 hours so they're kind of amazing, just saying
4 x

Eventful
Event Planner
Event Planner

Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:46 am

These both sound so good!
1 x
Cider
Event Committee
Event Committee

Pride

Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:38 pm

Just over a week left to sign up! I will be posting my recipe this weekend.
0 x

Cider
Event Committee
Event Committee

Pride

Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:51 pm

Don’t forget to sign up and submit your recipes this week!

——

Okay to be honest, I haven’t tried this recipe yet. But I saw it today and it just looks so delicious and seasonally wonderful. I will definitely be trying it in the near future!

Winter Squash and Kale Pasta with Pecan Breadcrumbs

Ingredients

½ cup finely chopped pecans
½ cup panko
2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
1 tsp. plus 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
Kosher salt
1 large butternut squash (about 3 lb.), peeled, halved, seeds removed, cut into 1" cubes
2 tsp. dried oregano
Freshly ground black pepper
12 oz. spaghetti or other long pasta
6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 large bunch kale, ribs and stems removed, leaves torn into 2" pieces
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 oz. Parmesan, finely grated
¼ cup chopped parsley
¼ cup fresh lemon juice

Preparation

Place racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat to 350°. Spread out pecans and panko on a small rimmed baking sheet and toast on upper rack, tossing halfway through, until nuts are slightly darkened and panko is golden, 7–9 minutes. Let cool slightly, then transfer pecans and panko to a small bowl and stir in lemon zest, 1 tsp. oil, and a pinch of salt. Set pecan breadcrumbs aside.

Increase oven temperature to 400°. Divide squash between 2 rimmed baking sheets; drizzle with 2 Tbsp. oil. Sprinkle oregano over, season with salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Roast, tossing halfway through, until tender and browned in spots, 25–30 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of generously salted boiling water, stirring occasionally, until very al dente, about 2 minutes less than package directions. Drain, reserving 1½ cups pasta cooking liquid.

Heat remaining 1 Tbsp. oil in a medium Dutch oven over medium. Cook garlic, stirring, until tender but not browned, about 1 minute. Add kale and cook, stirring, until beginning to wilt, about 2 minutes. Add 1 cup reserved pasta cooking liquid, cover pot, and cook until kale is completely wilted, about 4 minutes. Uncover pot, add butter, and stir until melted. Add Parmesan and pasta and cook, tossing vigorously with tongs and adding more pasta cooking liquid if needed, until pasta is al dente and sauce coats pasta, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and toss in squash, parsley, and lemon juice. Taste and season with more salt if needed.

Divide pasta among shallow bowls; top with reserved pecan breadcrumbs and season generously with pepper.
1 x

Cider
Event Committee
Event Committee

Pride

Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:12 am

I have another one!

I haven’t made this one yet either, but I’m going to be making it for a coworker’s birthday next week. I combined a new recipe with a couple I have made in the past and added some other things that seemed would help (I’ve made a lot of cheesecakes in the past so I have my own preferences haha). So just beware that this recipe is very experimental. I’ll let you know how it turns out when I make it if you select this recipe!

——

Autumn Apple Ginger Cheesecake

Ingredients

Crust

2 Cups Finely Ground Gingersnap Cookies
2 Tablespoons Sugar
½ teaspoon Ground Ginger
½ teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
¼ Cup (1/2 stick) Unsalted Butter, Melted

Filling

3 (8 Ounce) Packages Cream Cheese
3/4 Cup White Sugar
3 Eggs
¾ teaspoon Vanilla Extract

Topping

4 Cups Apples – peeled, cored, and thinly sliced (granny smith + fuji)
1/3 Cup White Sugar
½ teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
½ teaspoon Ground Ginger
¼ Cup Chopped Pecans
Handful Brown Sugar
Handful Flour
2 Tablespoons Chopped Unsalted Butter

Caramel

1 Cup Granulated Sugar
½ Cup Heavy Cream
2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
¾ teaspoon Kosher Salt, or to taste
¼ Cup Cold Water

---------

Preparation

Crust:
Wrap the springform pan in several layers of aluminum foil. Preheat oven to 350f, generously butter springform pan. Blend ground cookies, sugar, ginger, and cinnamon together in a food processor. Add melted butter and process until moist crumbles form. Press mixture into pan and ½ inch up sides. Bake until crust sets, about 8 minutes.

Filling:
In a large bowl, combine cream cheese and 3/4 cup sugar. Mix at medium speed until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Blend in vanilla. Pour filling into the baked crust.

Topping: (you may want to prepare this before starting the crust so you don’t feel rushed)
In a small bowl, stir together 1/3 cup sugar, ½ teaspoon ginger, and ½ teaspoon cinnamon. Toss with the sliced apples to coat. Microwave sliced apple mix for 1 to 2 minutes. Discard ½ cup juice. Spoon the apple mixture over cream cheese layer, and top with ¼ cup chopped pecan pieces. Mix the flour, sugar, and chunks of butter and spread over top.

Heat water on stovetop to prepare a water bath for the cake. Place wrapped cheesecake in a large pan and pour in half an inch of water. Bake cheesecake in preheated oven for 70 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow cake to sit in the oven for an additional hour. With a knife, loosen cake from rim of pan. Let cool, then remove the rim from pan. Chill cake before serving.

Caramel:
Make this while the cake is cooking, or just before serving the cake. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the sugar and cold water. Stir. Cook without stirring until the sugar has turned a deep amber hue, about 10-12 minutes.
Meanwhile, warm the cream in a small saucepan. When the sugar is ready, slowly whisk in the warm cream and continue simmering the mixture until it is smooth, about 2 or 3 minutes.
Remove the mixture from the heat and whisk in the butter. Salt to taste. Drizzle over slices of cheesecake.

Okay! I have made this and it is in the oven now! When I put the apples on the cheesecake, I arranged them in a spiral pattern and had about half leftover. I saved them and will probably cook them up into a sauce/fried apples to serve with the cheesecake when it’s ready.
2 x

Avani
Alpha - Head of Event Committee
Alpha - Head of Event Committee
Species: Cross Fox

Pride

Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:22 am

Cant go wrong with ham this time of year, especially in the crock pot :) Instead of cooking spray I use crock pot liners, definitely makes for easier cleanup! Be sure to use pure maple syrup.

https://www.dinneratthezoo.com/crock-pot-ham/

Ingredients
8 lb spiral cut ham
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup pure maple syrup do not use artificially flavored pancake syrup
1 cup pineapple juice
cooking spray
fresh herbs for garnish

Instructions
Coat a large 7-8 quart crock pot with cooking spray.
Place the ham cut side down in the crock pot.
Rub the brown sugar all over the ham, then pour the maple syrup and pineapple juice over the top.
Cook for 3-4 hours on low heat, or until a thermometer registers 140 degrees F when inserted into the thickest part of the ham.
Transfer the ham to a serving platter.
Pour the liquid from the bottom of the crock pot into a medium sized pan.
Place the pan over medium-high heat and bring the liquid to a simmer.
Cook for 6-8 minutes or until just thickened,
Pour the sauce over the ham. Decorate the serving platter with fresh herbs if desired, then serve.

Notes
If you prefer a thicker glaze, you can whisk together 1 tablespoon of corn starch with 2 tablespoons of cold water and add it to the sauce pan when you simmer your liquid from the bottom of the crock pot.
2 x
”Always Keep Fighting” - Jared Padalecki
Check Here for Current Events!!
Cider
Event Committee
Event Committee

Pride

Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:29 am

That sounds delicious Avani! I get a free ham from work every year around Christmas that I give to my family, I’ll pass this recipe along with it haha
1 x

Cider
Event Committee
Event Committee

Pride

Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:34 pm

Tomorrow is the last day to sign up!
0 x

Aurocard
Spirit Guide - Wise Healer
Spirit Guide - Wise Healer
Pronouns: she/her, derp/dork
Preferred Name: Auro/Aurocard
Species: Squolf

Pride

Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:09 pm

Gunna drop in my Chilli-Sweet Potato Chips (or Fries). Really good and warming side to a dish with any type of protein and veg.

INGREDIANTS:

3-5 Small Sweet Potats/1-3 Large Sweet Potats
3 Tbs of Vegetable Oil
2 Tbs of Chilli infused Oil
Dash or two of Salt
Pepper pepper pepper (from a grinder is the best)
1-3 Teaspoons of Crushed Chili Peppers
1-3 Teaspoons of smoked Paprika
1 Crushed garlic Clove OR 1 tsp of Garlic Granules

TOOLS
Enough flat baking trays to hold rows of Spicy spicy Chips
Aluminium Foil (keep them trays clean!)
Your hand fingers
Oven mits (to protect your hand fingers)
A Bowl

INSTRUCTIONS
-IMPORTANT - PREHEAT YOUR OVEN TO 355*F/180*C. THIS STEP IS SO VITAL. FOR WITH OUT IT, THE POTATS WILL NOT ACHIEVE GREATNESS.

-Peel and cut up the Sweet Potats to discover their final form. (HINT: It's Fries/Chips)
-In the Bowl, place the final form Potats and use one hand to gently mix them about while using the other to add all the oils. Continue do this till they are all coated as if they're going out in the cold.
-Once you feel they are sufficiently protected from the outside, sprinkle on the smoked Paprika then hand mix. Do the same with the Crushed Chili Peppers and the Garlic.

(NOTE: If you have crushed garlic, you may want to make sure that you spread it out evenly, as it'll be rather sticky. Crushed Garlic doesn't like to part from it's family so you gotta gently ensure them that they will be together for ever in the oven. They'll feel better about that.)

-Add the dash of salt, then the Pepper Pepper Pepper.
-Cover the bowl with something, preferably not your cat. Plates are nice.
-Place Aluminium Foil over the baking trays, then use additional Oil to coat the surface, make it a nice thin sheen of oil. Make it pretty.
-Place your final form Potats in nice rows with some spacing between each final form Potat.
-Pop trays in le Oven place, and set timer for 15 minutes.
-Check on Potats...wait...wait...did I say they were in their final form? I lied.
-If they have not completed their metamorphosis into crispy on the outside, soft on the inside beauties, set timer for five minutes intervals until they look good enough to nom on and melt your face off.

ENJOY!
4 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic