Coloring multi-layered psd files in sai?

Your one-stop spot for art resources. These are related resources vary from general art tutorials to Wolfhome-related art tutorials (such as how to make a pose).
deylily
Pack Initiate
Pack Initiate
Pronouns: she, her
Preferred Name: deylily, kaitlyn

Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:38 pm

I recently bought some bases off dA, like ones with multiple ears, tails, etc. Problem is that I don't know how to work the layers to customize them without having to edit the lineart by hand (i.e erasing the other ears so they dont overlap.) Example of such problem here. Am sort of new to coloring on sai, I know the basics like the preserve opacity lock and such but if anyone could help that would be amazing <3
0 x

my characters
deylily#8104
~

Collide
Leader of the Nerds
Leader of the Nerds
Pronouns: She/Her
Preferred Name: Kristin
Species: Red Fox/Raccoon

Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:46 pm

See that on the Layer window there are multiple layers shown? If you click the little box (see how one has an eye, the others don't) you click that and it will make the layer appear/disappear. IF that doesn't make sense let me know and I'll make some snapshots for you.
1 x
You could be happy, and I won't know
But you weren't happy the day I watched you go

deylily
Pack Initiate
Pack Initiate

Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:54 pm

Collide wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:46 pm
See that on the Layer window there are multiple layers shown? If you click the little box (see how one has an eye, the others don't) you click that and it will make the layer appear/disappear. IF that doesn't make sense let me know and I'll make some snapshots for you.
aa, gotcha. but i'm not sure how to remove the original ears? since there's no option to, I have to just erase it? And that the other ears don't have the grey for the preserve opacity option to work..
0 x

my characters
deylily#8104
~

Collide
Leader of the Nerds
Leader of the Nerds

Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:55 pm

Could you link me to the ones you're trying and I'll see if I can find a simpler option for you
0 x

deylily
Pack Initiate
Pack Initiate

Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:00 am

x and x. they are p2u so im not sure if you'll be able to see :(
0 x

my characters
deylily#8104
~

Collide
Leader of the Nerds
Leader of the Nerds

Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:05 am

ah okay
well this is kinda like the Waitress lines to me and what i have to do is make all the changes i want, and then go through and erase the lines that shouldn't be there (like neck fur behind the ears) so you may have to take that extra step. then i usually have to use the select tool and go in and make sure everything exactly what you want is selected
0 x

shanirie
Pack Initiate
Pack Initiate

Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:09 am

Ah, I have these linearts. Give me one moment and I'll pull some things together for you

edit:
These linearts have a fully lined "base" lineart which means, unfortunately, in order to edit or remove the basic ears/fur shape underneath the accessories you want to add, you will have to erase them from the 'body' layer by hand. I know it's a big inconvenience, but in the interest of saving you some trouble if you let me know what ears/tails/accessories you want on each lineart I'm happy to do the mods to the base layer for you
0 x
everything I could want is in front, not behind me || terms of service

deylily
Pack Initiate
Pack Initiate

Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:23 am

shanirie wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:09 am
Ah, I have these linearts. Give me one moment and I'll pull some things together for you

edit:
These linearts have a fully lined "base" lineart which means, unfortunately, in order to edit or remove the basic ears/fur shape underneath the accessories you want to add, you will have to erase them from the 'body' layer by hand. I know it's a big inconvenience, but in the interest of saving you some trouble if you let me know what ears/tails/accessories you want on each lineart I'm happy to do the mods to the base layer for you
thank you for telling me; I edit them now that I know that what I have to do, was just wondering if there was an easier way. thanks to both of you!
0 x

my characters
deylily#8104
~

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information