I've reached a standstill in my art improvement

Your one-stop spot for art resources. These are related resources vary from general art tutorials to Wolfhome-related art tutorials (such as how to make a pose).
Hiccup
Beta - Art Review Team
Beta - Art Review Team
Species: Corgi

Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:17 am

I've been at the same style/progression for years. I don't know how to break away from it, I don't know HOW to improve. I get these burst of art inspiration and I attempt to art and then I just get so disheartened because I don't like what I draw and it never looks as planned. I always try and work on different things, there is just so much I want to draw but I can't stand to look at it when its done. Have you guys ever dealt with this? If so, how did you get past it?
0 x
^Click for Characters^
Art. Sarahah
Previously Crystalbullet
Mitchiko
The stuff of Legends
The stuff of Legends

Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:39 am

I always find that drawing for chatlands can really stunt me. I think of something non-canine related, like a hockey puck or an octopus or a wellington boot or a anatomical heart. I use lots of photos and focus only on a line at a time, drawing what I actually see and not what I think I see. I hope that makes sense.
1 x
Hiccup
Beta - Art Review Team
Beta - Art Review Team

Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:53 pm

Mitchiko wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:39 am
I always find that drawing for chatlands can really stunt me. I think of something non-canine related, like a hockey puck or an octopus or a wellington boot or a anatomical heart. I use lots of photos and focus only on a line at a time, drawing what I actually see and not what I think I see. I hope that makes sense.
I will definitely try that! Thank you so much
1 x
^Click for Characters^
Art. Sarahah
Previously Crystalbullet
Dee
Spirit Guide - Wise Healer
Spirit Guide - Wise Healer

Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:15 pm

I agree with what @Mitchiko said! I'd been drawing canines/animals for YEARS. Only recently did I go back to art school and start doing "life drawings". So basically, human beings actually model in front of a crowd of artists and you all sit down and draw them together. Those workshops have SINCERELY helped my anatomy skills - this is more so for the sketching process of art though.

Maybe your local community college has artist workshop classes you can take as a one-time thing if you're interested?

And maybe test out different mediums of art? Like maybe you can try branching out into animation? Animating the art you already have really is exciting for me! The end result pays off IMO. :]
Some other options may be oil painting, sculpting, watercolor paints.. you name it! Instagram has a lot of "short clips" of all types of art mediums, and you can pick and choose which ones to watch, follow, & dive into!

And this has worked for me - but if you spoil yourself and buy new art supplies, I personally GEEK OUT and want to use them right away! It really encourages art production if you have shiny & new things instead of the old, mundane art schedule. Maybe for digital art, this could count as a new art program? Maybe dabble in Photoshop instead of SAI, like I'm currently trying? Or there are a ton of free programs out there too if the budget is tight- I've been meaning to try Krita!

Another good tip I heard somewhere, can't remember where... is DON'T FEEL PRESSURED to "finish" every drawing you complete. Don't even feel pressured to "save" every drawing. Draw for fun, and draw to just.. draw. I felt so liberated when I started applying this method of thinking to my drawings... I have so many unfinished sketches in my personal art folder on my laptop now, it's crazy.

And drawing with some friends helps too - if you ever want to chat on discord and get critiques, voice chat while you're drawing, etc etc.. I'm down to be friends if you want! But I know some people prefer to lock themselves away and slave over their artwork for hours, so no pressure at all, haha!

--this is a really big post I apologize!--
2 x

DA x TOS x Gallery
Previously Chellow
Hiccup
Beta - Art Review Team
Beta - Art Review Team

Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:16 pm

Dee wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:15 pm
I agree with what Mitchiko said! I'd been drawing canines/animals for YEARS. Only recently did I go back to art school and start doing "life drawings". So basically, human beings actually model in front of a crowd of artists and you all sit down and draw them together. Those workshops have SINCERELY helped my anatomy skills - this is more so for the sketching process of art though.

Maybe your local community college has artist workshop classes you can take as a one-time thing if you're interested?

And maybe test out different mediums of art? Like maybe you can try branching out into animation? Animating the art you already have really is exciting for me! The end result pays off IMO. :]
Some other options may be oil painting, sculpting, watercolor paints.. you name it! Instagram has a lot of "short clips" of all types of art mediums, and you can pick and choose which ones to watch, follow, & dive into!

And this has worked for me - but if you spoil yourself and buy new art supplies, I personally GEEK OUT and want to use them right away! It really encourages art production if you have shiny & new things instead of the old, mundane art schedule. Maybe for digital art, this could count as a new art program? Maybe dabble in Photoshop instead of SAI, like I'm currently trying? Or there are a ton of free programs out there too if the budget is tight- I've been meaning to try Krita!

Another good tip I heard somewhere, can't remember where... is DON'T FEEL PRESSURED to "finish" every drawing you complete. Don't even feel pressured to "save" every drawing. Draw for fun, and draw to just.. draw. I felt so liberated when I started applying this method of thinking to my drawings... I have so many unfinished sketches in my personal art folder on my laptop now, it's crazy.

And drawing with some friends helps too - if you ever want to chat on discord and get critiques, voice chat while you're drawing, etc etc.. I'm down to be friends if you want! But I know some people prefer to lock themselves away and slave over their artwork for hours, so no pressure at all, haha!

--this is a really big post I apologize!--
Omg no, don't apologize!! This is so helpful and I'm so glad I decided to post because I'm getting such good information. I live in a smallish town, so I don't think we have any artist workshop classes nearby but that would be great! I do actually have some acrylic paint, but I'm honestly kind of intimidated by them D: lmao
But thank you so much, I will definitely be trying these things!! I really appreciate it
1 x
^Click for Characters^
Art. Sarahah
Previously Crystalbullet
Larkenox
Grandmaster - One of but a few.
Grandmaster - One of but a few.
Preferred Name: Ross
Species: Buck

Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:03 am

I haven't read everything above but finding people that inspire me helps so much. What do you want to draw? What do you want to get better at? See other artist's styles, see how they simplify things, see how they use color. Find what you enjoy about their artwork and learn how to apply that sort of thing to yours too

Finding an animated show can also help. I didn't really want to even draw humans until I started rewatching one of my old favorite shows, but watching it somehow gave me the motivation and drive to start practicing them. Because I'm sick of drawing only dogs too. I want to further my artwork, and be a well rounded artist
0 x
yesterday is history
tomorrow is a mystery
today is a gift
that's why it's called the present
Colo
Omniscient
Omniscient

Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:04 am

If you can afford it, I've heard Udemy courses can be incredibly helpful! There's also tutorials on Artstation, they might help you broaden your horizon. Personally I've been wanting to improve my landscape/backgrounds so I've been looking a lot at photos.

Drawing challenges can also be super helpful to break the usual cycle of doggos!

You could also virtually visit art galleries! The UK national galley has one here: https://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/visi ... tual-tours finding an artist you like and replicating their style or form, or even doing your own interpretation of their work is a completely cool thing to do as a personal work!
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic