Ignore feature recommendation overly used

This section is for posting questions regarding Wolfhome, workings or details, or simply needing to contact one of the administration. Bans or warnings given, whether temporary or permanent, will NOT be discussed, and topics containing such material will be immediately deleted.
Totem
Spellweaver and Wordsmith
Pronouns: She/her
Preferred Name: Haley
Species: Coyote

Thu May 24, 2018 11:57 pm

I get it, we should use the ignore feature. However, when someone is flat out breaking the rules (sexual harassment, pedophilia, racism, among other things) why are we being suggested the ignore feature. The administration should be HANDLING this and accepting reports and not seeing this as "witch hunting" just because we happen to be in an active room, where this occurs, doesn't mean its witch hunting.

As being a former administrator I NEVER in all my years (been administrating since 12yrs old and I'm 20 now!) suggested the ignore feature for things like this. It was something we appreciated reports of, even if it was the same person. An admin can do a log check of behavior like this why is it witch hunting when its breaking the rules. This makes no sense to me, by telling someone to ignore behaviors like this it's like saying "ignore them, we're allowing this we're not going to take care of it"

It's bullshit.

Edit: admins don't see everything and people behave when admins are in the room, you guys should be appreciating reports.

Edit edit: Also why is the ADMINISTRATION telling people to ignore people who reported them. It's like the administration is protecting them? This makes it seem even more of a cover up and allowing this disgusting behavior. :thinking:
5 x
06/28/17
Previously Epilepsy
winchester
Adept Protector
Adept Protector
Preferred Name: grace
Species: eldritch

Thu May 24, 2018 11:58 pm

Epilepsy wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 11:57 pm
It's bullshit.
change my mind
3 x

intj-t | sagi sun / scorpio rising | slytherin
CharactersSarahah
aka: stark - gansey - winchester -
PRiDE

“Do I dare to disturb the universe?.”
Yes.

fable
Omniscient
Omniscient
Pronouns: they

Fri May 25, 2018 12:01 am

Also when did it become okay to let those who have been reported, know who reported them? Isn't that a break of confidentiliaty? Man, I wouldn't be reporting anything if it got me either a suggestion of the ignore feature and not handled, or I was gonna be snitched on by the staff themselves, js.
5 x
infp | aries | ravenclaw
Totem

Fri May 25, 2018 12:06 am

Also, the fact that the people who this is happening to are too scared to come forward because they think they are doing wrong is a problem.
3 x
06/28/17
Previously Epilepsy
Akala
Alpha
Alpha

Fri May 25, 2018 12:14 am

:Fox-Confused:

I've never seen an instance where we suggested the ignore feature for such offences without it being handled appropriately. Pedophila and sexual harassment? Unless you are talking about us telling people to use the ignore feature while we work out the appropriate course of action :Fox-Confused: Then I really see no harm in this, as it's being handled.

Nor have I seen any of Wolfhome staff uncover the identity of the reporter to the reported, and that's pretty serious.

Please PM me these instances if you could, so I can take a closer look at this.
5 x
mongrel
Species: hufflepuff

Fri May 25, 2018 12:15 am

i dont have a strong opinion on this as a whole since i use chats less. that being said
certain admins not dealing with issues or showing concern to the userbase and just saying "open a ticket/use the ignore feature" is bad customer service on that admin's behalf.
i will say i've noticed less of this this past year or so, but if there's a concerned party and your answer is to redirect the problem to be ignored or dealt with elsewhere, i think you're going wrong somewhere. ESPECIALLY considering the circumstance of racism, sexism, transphobia, pedophilia, or any otherwise discriminatory or... fuckin gross ass thing.
let us know that it'll be dealt with, whether you post something in your admin group chat, post a topic on the forums, redirect it to another admin, make a note, etc. let us know we can send logs to you or to another admin or in a forum PM or something.
even if you don't have an answer, making the effort to say "i don't know, but i can direct you to someone who does" is better than being dismissed or talked down to.
2 x
maul the world like the carnival bear set free
Totem

Fri May 25, 2018 12:21 am

I'll tell the people to PM you or to give me the info, since they are uncomfortable. I get if a situation is being handled to suggest it maybe in a way that doesn't seem like it's being so brushed off and this is the only way that seems to handle the issue... There might be less reassurance in handling the issues when the ignore feature is being promoted it might be seen as "just ignore them instead"

Like Mongrel said, I've noticed in increase in this as well and its frustrating when you feel like you're getting no where.
1 x
06/28/17
Previously Epilepsy
Akala
Alpha
Alpha

Fri May 25, 2018 12:27 am

That'll be great, thank you.

I do want to emphasize and reassure that we absolutely take racism, sexual harassment and pedophilia extremely seriously and we'll always thoroughly look into them and discuss them and take the necessary actions. I'll talk with the rest of the team about the approach so we can change and work on this, if this is the aesthetic is it letting off (which we don't want to seem like we're brushing any reports off, because that's not very welcoming from an admin standpoint).
4 x
Frezzi
Pack Initiate
Pack Initiate
Pronouns: Thee, thy and thou
Preferred Name: Frezzi?
Species: Wolf

Fri May 25, 2018 12:30 am

I can only speak from personal experience, so don't take what I'm saying as an absolute truth...but frankly, I've never once experienced the admin staff, when presented with a legitimate report, ever just brushing it off and simply asking me to ignore the reported individual.

What the admins HAVE done, is ask me to GATHER EVIDENCE of the incident, provide said evidence and THEN asked me to possibly ignore the person to avoid escalating the situation.

As for the whole thing about giving up information about who's reported who...again, I've never seen or heard about this happening, and if it has happened, I'm 99% certain that's a severe offense and, again, should be reported with sufficient evidence.

On a said note, I think people misunderstand the idea behind using the ignore feature in these situations. By actively engaging in a heated argument with someone that's breaking the rules, nothing's being achieved except further disturbance of the peace. Gathering sufficient evidence and then ignoring the person, not only helps minimize potential escalation, but also helps prevent potential backlash from whatever might be said or done during the conversation (It also just makes it easier for the admins to deal with the problem).

Asking users to make use of the tools available to them is NOT tolerance of rule breaking or poor behaviour, it's simply a tool to help contain and dampen the issue, instead of having it escalate into something far larger than it really needs to be.
5 x
At the end of the day, I'd still rather be a lonely wolf than just another sheep in the herd...
Totem

Fri May 25, 2018 12:33 am

Frezzi wrote:
I can only speak from personal experience, so don't take what I'm saying as an absolute truth...but frankly, I've never once experienced the admin staff, when presented with a legitimate report, ever just brushing it off and simply asking me to ignore the reported individual.

What the admins HAVE done, is ask me to GATHER EVIDENCE of the incident, provide said evidence and THEN asked me to possibly ignore the person to avoid escalating the situation.

As for the whole thing about giving up information about who's reported who...again, I've never seen or heard about this happening, and if it has happened, I'm 99% certain that's a severe offense and, again, should be reported with sufficient evidence.

On a said note, I think people misunderstand the idea behind using the ignore feature in these situations. By actively engaging in a heated argument with someone that's breaking the rules, nothing's being achieved except further disturbance of the peace. Gathering sufficient evidence and then ignoring the person, not only helps minimize potential escalation, but also helps prevent potential backlash from whatever might be said or done during the conversation (It also just makes it easier for the admins to deal with the problem).

Asking users to make use of the tools available to them is NOT tolerance of rule breaking or poor behaviour, it's simply a tool to help contain and dampen the issue, instead of having it escalate into something far larger than it really needs to be.
When people are arguing? Yes, the ignore feature is great. When you haven't argued and stayed quiet and done nothing wrong and just reported them and are told to ignore them? No that's not a good way to utilize the ignore feature.
2 x
06/28/17
Previously Epilepsy
fable
Omniscient
Omniscient
Pronouns: they

Fri May 25, 2018 12:34 am

The issue is, the ignore feature has been used twice this past week as a suggestion to actual rule breaks - not arguments or disagreements, so I don't think people are "misunderstanding" the idea of the ignore feature. People don't need to ignore users that are breaking rules - they need to ignore users that they're having personal issues with (like arguments, like you stated.)

or haley can post before me fuckin pleb
3 x
infp | aries | ravenclaw
winchester
Adept Protector
Adept Protector
Preferred Name: grace
Species: eldritch

Fri May 25, 2018 12:34 am

Frezzi wrote:
the situations mentioned were where the users were never engaged in the first place. logs were simply gathered in silence and sent to the administration. they had never been engaged, even, since the reports started - and there's been multiple reports made for the same topics (racism, sexual remarks/harassment, etc.)
3 x

intj-t | sagi sun / scorpio rising | slytherin
CharactersSarahah
aka: stark - gansey - winchester -
PRiDE

“Do I dare to disturb the universe?.”
Yes.

Frezzi
Pack Initiate
Pack Initiate
Pronouns: Thee, thy and thou
Preferred Name: Frezzi?
Species: Wolf

Fri May 25, 2018 12:51 am

I fail to see the point brought up in response to my post...if you're not in any way, shape or form engaging someone who's breaking the rules, then it seems even more logical to simply gather the necessary evidence and then ignoring the person while the report is being handled. Their presence is clearly not beneficial to your experience, so why not ignore them once you've sent your report, so that you can return to your own endeavours again?
3 x
At the end of the day, I'd still rather be a lonely wolf than just another sheep in the herd...
mongrel

Fri May 25, 2018 12:56 am

Frezzi wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 12:51 am
I fail to see the point brought up in response to my post...if you're not in any way, shape or form engaging someone who's breaking the rules, then it seems even more logical to simply gather the necessary evidence and then ignoring the person while the report is being handled. Their presence is clearly not beneficial to your experience, so why not ignore them once you've sent your report, so that you can return to your own endeavours again?
because who's to say it wont continue? or is otherwise perpetuated?

do yall realize wolfhome is riddled with tons of racist fucks nobody but like 5 people are willing to report

just because we dont see it doesnt mean it's not still happening
3 x
mongrel

Fri May 25, 2018 1:01 am

also, like, most of us arent dumb who are making these reports and we know how the ignore feature works. so saying it repeatedly to us as if its going to solve the root of the issue is redundant
disclaimer to what I said: I understand a lot of the times reminding us we can use the ignore feature is a courtesy, but half the time it feels dismissive and not courteous.
2 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic