Ban Appeal Explanations

This section is for posting questions regarding Wolfhome, workings or details, or simply needing to contact one of the administration. Bans or warnings given, whether temporary or permanent, will NOT be discussed, and topics containing such material will be immediately deleted.
Aevnass
Spellweaver and Wordsmith
Pronouns: They/Them
Preferred Name: runt

Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:29 pm

I’d like to ask why when an appeal is denied, there is no explanation given as to why it was denied? It use to be you got an answer as to why like ‘We feel we need more time for this to cool down’ and stuff like that but now it’s more of a ‘Because we said so’ rather than explaining why it wasn’t approved. In no way am I trying to start anything, just looking for answers and figured it’d be best to ask all the admins rather than one! And perhaps get input from the community.

I’m speaking of Overseer appeals.
Thank you!!
3 x

previously runt

goth
Omniscient
Omniscient
Pronouns: he/they
Preferred Name: Yuu

Pride

Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:34 pm

i'd kinda like to know this as well
1 x
sᴇᴀʀᴄʜɪɴɢ ғᴏʀ ᴀ ɢᴏᴅ ᴏʀ sᴏᴍᴇᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ɪs ʙɪɢɢᴇʀ ᴛʜᴀɴ ᴍᴇ sᴏ ɪ ᴡᴀɪᴛ
ʀᴇᴀᴄʜɪɴɢ ᴜᴘ ᴀᴛ ᴛʜᴇ sᴋʏ sᴇɴᴅɪɴɢ ᴘʀᴀʏᴇʀs ᴛʜᴀᴛ ɪ ᴋɴᴏᴡ ᴡᴏɴ'ᴛ ʙᴇ ᴍᴇᴛ
sʟᴇᴇᴘ, ᴡᴀᴋᴇ, ʀᴇᴘᴇᴀᴛ

Bodach
Alpha
Alpha
Pronouns: they/them
Preferred Name: Bo

Pride

Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:57 pm

That's not generally how we operate.
Typically an explanation is given as to why a ban appeal is rejected. We record ban information in case users have questions about their bans and we can refer back to this information as needed. But PTs are handled on a case-by-case basis so it COULD happen.
I did peek back to see if there was a specific recent case that had a bare-minimum response and I don't see any. Is there a specific case you are referring to? (You can PM the response to that if there is.)

Also, please keep in mind that Wolfhome Alphas do not handle ban appeals or problem tickets for other chats or overseer-level bans. These would have been referred to the appropriate PT system.
0 x
BE DED
GO A LITTLE FART
DIG A LITTLE DEE
REACH A LITTLE
CATCH THE CAT
AND PASS IT ON

Art Thread | Commissions | CharactersImage
Aevnass

Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:03 pm

Bodach wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:57 pm
That's not generally how we operate.
Typically an explanation is given as to why a ban appeal is rejected. We record ban information in case users have questions about their bans and we can refer back to this information as needed. But PTs are handled on a case-by-case basis so it COULD happen.
I did peek back to see if there was a specific recent case that had a bare-minimum response and I don't see any. Is there a specific case you are referring to? (You can PM the response to that if there is.)

Also, please keep in mind that Wolfhome Alphas do not handle ban appeals or problem tickets for other chats or overseer-level bans. These would have been referred to the appropriate PT system.
I’m speaking Overseers appeals.
0 x

previously runt

Kelpie
Omniscient
Omniscient
Preferred Name: Cassie
Species: Fox

Pride

Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:46 pm

Thank you for your question. I apologise in advance for any typos and expression errors as I have been operating on my phone for the past 3 days (just shows how much we rely on wifi, it’s crazy right!)

As far as I know and remember, guardian (formally overseer) appeal responses typically do not give detailed explainations to how and why we came to the conclusion to deny an appeal. Important to understand is that guardian appeals are genuinely people who are appealing a serious ban, bans that have escalated to the guardian level rather than the typical ‘at site discretion’. Often, when an explaination was given, it was taken as an invitation for the user to argue with our decision through discord and through the PT system. The overall consensus can range from the offence being too serious or malicious for us to consider a release at this moment to other reasons, such as not waiting the full 30 day period, ban-hopping etc. The general overall thought process is these bans are serious in nature and it is at the guardian discretion to release individuals if we feel as if they are ready to return or not, as they were excluded from the community for a reason.

Now, I am definitely not saying we are not open or willing to budge to change our ticket responses. We have often given explainations to people who have politely inquired further about their denied appeal, which we will happily give to people who are serious about coming back to be a constructive member of CL once more. I hope this clears up the question a bit more for you.

And to just re-state, we are open to change if this is proving to be a common complaint.
0 x
🐠 🐠 🐠 Blub Blub 🐠 🐠 🐠
comms | DA | Betta Fish Fans | Babies
luffy
Omniscient
Omniscient
Preferred Name: Jansi
Species: Human

Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:20 pm

takes like one minute to type a reason for rejection, may as well do it for transparency's sake and to prevent these topics. on the flipside, though, even at a site level, banned users aren't owed an explanation for appeals lol you get your reason for ban so you assume that it's for that reason or similar that you are not being allowed back

don't want rejected appeal? don't get banned
5 x
AKA Clovette 🐈
Colo
Omniscient
Omniscient
Preferred Name: Colo or L

Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:04 am

luffy wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:20 pm
takes like one minute to type a reason for rejection, may as well do it for transparency's sake and to prevent these topics. on the flipside, though, even at a site level, banned users aren't owed an explanation for appeals lol you get your reason for ban so you assume that it's for that reason or similar that you are not being allowed back

don't want rejected appeal? don't get banned
Except those under GDPR, anyone protected by GDPR has a right to all data a website holds pertaining to them. if it exists in a hidden area, we have the right to know about it and what it says should a GDPR request be submitted.
4 x
pyr
Alpha
Alpha

Pride

Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:22 am

I think those are good perspectives to keep in mind for Wolfhome tickets! As Bodach said, it would be pretty unusual for the Wolfhome team to refuse to give a ban reason or an appeal rejection reason. We don't handle or manage how the Chatlands Guardians handle their PT and appeals process but I imagine a better way to communicate with the team would be through their ticket system, or through PMing the Overseers through the Chatlands-level forum: http://forum.chatlands.com/index.php
4 x
Hey, I've been falling apart these days
Split open, watching my heart go
'Round and around, 'round and around
Circle the drain, I'm going down
mithril
Omniscient
Omniscient

Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:20 pm

It would definitely be best if guardians/overseers provided an explanation I think, even if brief and only a few words, and while it's not technically required by law (CL is US based, so I'm not sure how international laws work), it'd help with the transparency thing people would like from them.
0 x

Before her very first breath of dawn, the moon said unto the newborn earth;
When you open your eyes, this will all become temporary.
And the earth replied, by gazing directly into the sun.
luffy
Omniscient
Omniscient
Preferred Name: Jansi
Species: Human

Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:33 pm

mithril wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:20 pm
It would definitely be best if guardians/overseers provided an explanation I think, even if brief and only a few words, and while it's not technically required by law (CL is US based, so I'm not sure how international laws work), it'd help with the transparency thing people would like from them.
Gdpr is required in the us for people who live there

It's a mess
1 x
AKA Clovette 🐈
Aevnass

Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:36 pm

Thanks for everyone’s input!!
@Chikory so people are allowed to request a reason for being denied? Or did I not understand correctly? Sorry haha
If so, do we wait the 30 days or can a ticket be sent in immediately?
Sorry I’m confused I guess ha
0 x

previously runt

Kelpie
Omniscient
Omniscient
Preferred Name: Cassie
Species: Fox

Pride

Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:40 pm

Semirae wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:36 pm
Thanks for everyone’s input!!
Chikory so people are allowed to request a reason for being denied? Or did I not understand correctly? Sorry haha
If so, do we wait the 30 days or can a ticket be sent in immediately?
Sorry I’m confused I guess ha
Yes, anybody can send in a problem ticket to us to ask questions any time they want (requests to be unbanned are the exception of 30 days)
0 x
🐠 🐠 🐠 Blub Blub 🐠 🐠 🐠
comms | DA | Betta Fish Fans | Babies
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic