Chatlands 2020 kickstarter!

Old announcement of past promotion rounds and updates to Wolfhome.
Gia
Shaman - Secret Keeper
Shaman - Secret Keeper
Preferred Name: Gia

Pledge Level Name Brainstorm:

Bronze Pup
Silver Wolf
Gold Cub
Platinium Tiger
Ruby Dragon
Diamond Hawk

Or like

Space Pup
Stardust Wolf
Island Dragon
Opal Fox
Emerald Gryffin

Etc... Custom names are fun, unique, and personalized. These titles would be specific to kickstarter contributors. I agree that the Greek levels could cause confusion.
Reacher
Ethereal Ancestor
Ethereal Ancestor

underdog wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:52 pm
BTW folks! I need suggestions for the names on the pledge levels. I could go with something basic like precious metals or gemstones (bronze, silver, gold, platinum, diamond, ruby). Or with titles. Someone recommended I go with the Greek letter system we've used for ranks but I don't want to confuse the issue there so giving someone a 'gamma' or 'beta' title might make people think that they're a 'beta' on the site.

I could go with "Chatlands Fan" for the $1 pledge level, "Chatlands Supporter" for the $10 level, etc. Make some suggestions and IF I choose yours I will award you 5 deltas. :)

===underdog===

(disclaimer: if I've already had it suggested before you won't get the award sorry)
I think a good idea for for the top pledge would be "Top Dog".
underdog
Alpha - Site Owner
Alpha - Site Owner

Totem wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:02 pm
Not sure on percentage wise on goods- mailable wise.. from what I'm gathering most goods will be on the pricier side- stickers of course being on the lower. I think 10% of more than fair again- if it reaches the goal I think maybe if we can gather enough artists on board or more digital goods instead it would for sure be better than having to deal with mailing things out and then shipment to you etc etc. Of course the higher spending could get actual mailable goods.. I will have to look further into what items could be done reasonably. :razz:
I've been spending a lot of time researching this but it's a complex task. I've seen some kickstarters that are giving away swag that looks like it would be about 1/3 of their take (or less b/c of that ever lasting eight percent that Kickstarter takes off the top. Grrr.

Here's the basic page for anyone thinking about this kickstarter or maybe starting their own...

https://www.kickstarter.com/help/handbook

Avatar is from deviant art: http://a.deviantart.net/avatars/m/a/maklods.png?4

(Luigi is TM Nintendo, right? what's up with that?)
underdog
Alpha - Site Owner
Alpha - Site Owner

Reacher wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:12 pm
If you’d be interested though Underdog, I would love to draw up a sticker sheet of the site mascots. (Eventful, Celebria, Artie, etc)
Yes please and thank you. I need stuff pretty fast. I am putting the page up still tonight (if I can stay awake) that shows what I have already.

underdog
Alpha - Site Owner
Alpha - Site Owner

Gia wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:21 pm
Pledge Level Name Brainstorm:

Bronze Pup
Silver Wolf
Gold Cub
Platinium Tiger
Ruby Dragon
Diamond Hawk

Or like

Space Pup
Stardust Wolf
Island Dragon
Opal Fox
Emerald Gryffin

Etc... Custom names are fun, unique, and personalized. These titles would be specific to kickstarter contributors. I agree that the Greek levels could cause confusion.
I like all of the above and I think the first set in particular is best.

The whole thing (as a concept) is great with the idea of combining a sponsorship level like "Legendary" or "Superior" or "Diamond" with an animal. I can see something like "Legendary Bear" or "Stalking Tiger" perhaps as well.

This sort of brainstorming is inspiring, thanks.

underdog
Alpha - Site Owner
Alpha - Site Owner

How would it be to offer advertising space on the site? Chatlands 2020 will be the same as the current sites, which means that if you have any kind of paid subscription you aren't seeing the ads, but for anyone with a free account (or before they log in) there are ads. I could offer 500,000 impressions for a pledge of $500 (the amount could be lower, I am looking at $1 CPM there which seems fair but idk).

So you could get a 728x90 banner ad or a 300x250 side ad for a pledge and point it to your Etsy page, or E-bay store, etc.

UPDATE: maybe $500 is too high. Any thoughts or opinions on that?

Reacher
Ethereal Ancestor
Ethereal Ancestor

underdog wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:56 am
Reacher wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:12 pm
If you’d be interested though Underdog, I would love to draw up a sticker sheet of the site mascots. (Eventful, Celebria, Artie, etc)
Yes please and thank you. I need stuff pretty fast. I am putting the page up still tonight (if I can stay awake) that shows what I have already.
I’ll start working on it and get it to you ASAP over email. I’ll probably do headshot stickers for them all.
Loki
Archdruid - Spirit Caller
Pronouns: he/him
Preferred Name: Jayden
Species: Coyote

Pride

I love the idea of the ads- however many people use adblocker now... with that said. I know when having a free acc it would just create a black space where ads were on wh and if you had free.. With that said I’m personally someone who had had a sub for years so ads I haven’t seen- if they’re even there anymore.

I know if I was placing an ad and knew ad blocker was a possibility not to show it in this day and time I’m not sure. But then again a lot of websites still use ads... such as furaffinity. Even with YouTube there’s ads before videos but they can be blocked with adblocker.

Something to consider due to the tech aspect of things now.

"No one bad is ever truly bad, no one good is ever truly good."

Wyvern
Pack Initiate
Pack Initiate
Pronouns: she/her
Preferred Name: Haley

hi! i am SO excited to see that Chatlands is going to be getting a fresh coat of paint <3

i had an idea! a lot of artists/youtubers use RedBubble to sell their designs on clothing/stickers/etc. this could be an alternative to getting pins/buttons/stickers/other rewards from separate companies and keep all of the rewards in one place, making navigation easier. i do not know the specifications on what exactly RedBubble charges for these or the extent of what they offer as far as items go, but it could be very useful for Patreon pledges to receive their rewards (perhaps a code that eliminates the cost of the item and shipping) and also rake in revenue from those who just want to rep WH or other chats.
Vous avez de tres beaux yeux
Loki

Pride

Wyvern wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:58 pm
hi! i am SO excited to see that Chatlands is going to be getting a fresh coat of paint <3

i had an idea! a lot of artists/youtubers use RedBubble to sell their designs on clothing/stickers/etc. this could be an alternative to getting pins/buttons/stickers/other rewards from separate companies and keep all of the rewards in one place, making navigation easier. i do not know the specifications on what exactly RedBubble charges for these or the extent of what they offer as far as items go, but it could be very useful for Patreon pledges to receive their rewards (perhaps a code that eliminates the cost of the item and shipping) and also rake in revenue from those who just want to rep WH or other chats.
We would have to purchase from red bubble. Otherwise they would be essentially losing revenue (for red bubble) by giving product away at no cost. Really the only way for us to do that would be to purchase from red bubble and ship out. I don’t think they do bulk discount..

underdog
Alpha - Site Owner
Alpha - Site Owner

Totem wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:51 am
I love the idea of the ads- however many people use adblocker now... with that said. I know when having a free acc it would just create a black space where ads were on wh and if you had free.. With that said I’m personally someone who had had a sub for years so ads I haven’t seen- if they’re even there anymore.

I know if I was placing an ad and knew ad blocker was a possibility not to show it in this day and time I’m not sure. But then again a lot of websites still use ads... such as furaffinity. Even with YouTube there’s ads before videos but they can be blocked with adblocker.

The thing about ad blockers is that they can block the well known ads like from adsense etc, but they can't block it if it looks like regular site content! So these ads look like regular artwork and will show up in spite of ad blockers. I have this working on other sites. It fails if you use an ad network like OpenX or DFP or some other ad agency but if your content is coming from your server and the link goes BACK to your server, it seems to work pretty well.

Loki

Pride

underdog wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:46 pm
Totem wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:51 am

The thing about ad blockers is that they can block the well known ads like from adsense etc, but they can't block it if it looks like regular site content! So these ads look like regular artwork and will show up in spite of ad blockers. I have this working on other sites. It fails if you use an ad network like OpenX or DFP or some other ad agency but if your content is coming from your server and the link goes BACK to your server, it seems to work pretty well.
Thats good to know!! I think charging a good bit would be good then- since it can link back to artist pages or etsy etc. I think it would be a great opportunity to have a form onsite for an application as well for an ad of course that brings in additional revenue. You could do tiers again on length of time the ad would be posted on WH (and forums perhaps) you can purchase an ad spot for a month.. or two months.. etc or just make it simple I suppose! I am not an artist, but I am curious what an artist would pay for an ad or a seller.. I know our character market is not doing well right now- so perhaps an option to pay for ads via forum to advertise commissions and character sales.. Hope that makes sense!

Andes
Pack Initiate
Pack Initiate
Pronouns: He / Him
Preferred Name: Andrew
Species: Canadian Timber Wolf

Pride

I think that if the lowest possible level has to be $20 for the gifts that need to be mailed, there can be lower tiers with gifts that don't need to be mailed. Sorry if you've already thought about this and if I'm just repeating something already said als;dkfj

As for tier names, I have a few suggestions!

CL ranks/greek letters!
Omega
Gamma
Beta
Alpha
etc.

Animals!
Mouse
Rabbit
Eagle
Fox
Wolf
etc.

More Business-y sounding?
Supporter
Sponsor
Ambassador
Partner
etc.
Reacher
Ethereal Ancestor
Ethereal Ancestor

I don't think an artist would be willing to pay much more than $50 MAX a month for an ad space. On FurAffinity it's around $30-$40 I believe, and additionally, many sites and artists would probably rather advertise on a site that they see already succeeding rather than in the works.
That's just my two cents BUT if there is a way to make it work I think that would be great. <3
underdog
Alpha - Site Owner
Alpha - Site Owner

Reacher wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:10 pm
I don't think an artist would be willing to pay much more than $50 MAX a month for an ad space. On FurAffinity it's around $30-$40 I believe, and additionally, many sites and artists would probably rather advertise on a site that they see already succeeding rather than in the works.
That's just my two cents BUT if there is a way to make it work I think that would be great. <3

I want artists to get the word out and I don't make much on advertising atm. I would look at this as a CPM thing, that is how much does an ad cost per 1K impressions? I was imagining 1 delta per 1000 impressions which is roughly the same as $1 CPM. But if I make less than that, I will. Let's see what happens. Wow, I had no idea furaffinity was owned by IMVU. Nor did I see how sexxed up it is. Maybe it's time for me to let my hair down (yes, dammit I am speaking figuratively) They are a giant site. What does $30 to $40 mean, how many monthly views does furaffinity manage? I am guessing they have a LOT of page views, if they have so many subscribers and anonymous visitors. So for $30 you can get a MONTH of unlimited advertising?? That is a good deal. Is it possible that the ad is a part of a rotation with other people that want to advertise too or does it show every time on every page?

Locked Previous topicNext topic