Gimp Newb in need of assisstance

This section is intended ONLY for topics which are no longer relevant, but may be needed for future reference.
LiteraryVenom
Wolfhome Newborn
Wolfhome Newborn

Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:20 am

:ohman: Eheh. Hi guys.

Alright, so I recently downloaded Gimp - which, if you somehow don't know, is a free photo-editing program - by suggestion of a friend of mine. The only problem is, I have absolutely NO idea what I'm doing. It's a bit of a complicated thing for me.

A couple things I've had issues with so far:

- I'll try to color lineart, and it ends up painting over the lines, getting rid of the line completely by coating it with whatever other color I'm using. Not sure how to work the layering so that this doesn't happen. My friend said something about using a Multiply setting or something like that? Any advice would be appreciated.

- I was messing around the other day and accidentally closed out my little toolbox. When I reopened it, all of my little sliders that control things like the size of the brush, the opacity and so on had vanished. Not sure how to get those back. Again, advice appreciated.

Any other random bits of advice on how to make the program work for me would be much appreciated. Thanks guys.
0 x

Yuno
Ethereal Ancestor
Ethereal Ancestor
Preferred Name: Yuno/Virgo/V

Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:25 am

I dont know much about GIMP, I use pixlr, its no-download and its not very complicaited. You could try changing the transparncy of the brushed though.
0 x

Cassim
IT'S OVER 2 9000'S!
IT'S OVER 2 9000'S!

Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:26 am

For the first one.
http://forum.wolfhome.com/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=101524
You just do the same thing here ^ that I did to color a pose to the lineart.
It works with linearts too. Anything really haha.

As for the second one
Try downloading GIMP again?
0 x

Avani
Omniscient
Omniscient
Species: Cross Fox

Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:30 am

Have you looked here:
http://forum.wolfhome.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=51137

Many Tutorials and Goodies can be found there for sure :)
0 x

Gregg
Spellweaver and Wordsmith
Spellweaver and Wordsmith

Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:30 am

To fix the slider problem at the top of the program are tabs. Go to Tools or one of the tabs and find a thing called "dockable windows"
Look at recently closed or whichever lists them. I suggest opening layers, navigation, brushes and whatever else you may need.

As for colouring when you have the layer option open, down to the bottom of that box is a white "paper" tab
Click that and choose transparent, then on the same box is an option to change the "mode". Find this and change the mode to multiply to be able to colour over the linearts.

Hope this helps a bit.
0 x

LiteraryVenom
Wolfhome Newborn
Wolfhome Newborn

Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:39 am

I love you people. <3

So much help. Thanks so much. I'll take a look at the tutorials and try out the tips. Fingers crossed! xD
0 x

Avani
Omniscient
Omniscient
Species: Cross Fox

Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:40 am

Good luck!
0 x

• Information