How to color a complex pose?

This section is intended ONLY for topics which are no longer relevant, but may be needed for future reference.
Azura
Pack Initiate
Pack Initiate

Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:28 pm

(c) Kesame/Sullivan

This one I'm referring to in particular.
The program I use is Photoshop Elements 7.

Selection tools don't work. The lines are too complex to use the eraser tool well enough.
Surely there's a way to color JUST the coyote without the color escaping any of the lines? While in multiply mode and keeping the transparency? I've tried all I can think of and now I'm resorting to just needing help.
Otherwise, this is what I get:

The color is out of the lines in several places so you don't see the nice fur detail on the outline and there are loose pixels.
When I put a color in the background to cover the transparency, the coloring is perfectly in the lines because I've colored on a layer set to multiply. But I don't know how to make it perfectly in the lines like that without color in the background.

So.. Anybody got techniques for coloring complex poses like this?
0 x

Tat
Spirit Guide - Wise Healer

Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:40 pm

This is what's called a lineless pose, so it's supposed to look like that, seamless and without lines at all. It's perfectly acceptable on chat like this as it is how it was intended to look that way. (Though it needs resizing.) :)
Last edited by Tat on Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
T4T

Azura
Pack Initiate
Pack Initiate

Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:43 pm

..I think you're missing the point of my question though. xD Even when lineless, there is a nice fur detail on the edges that I'd like to keep. But I'm finding it practically impossible to do while keeping the pose transparent. So I'm looking for a technique on how to fix that problem.
0 x

Tat

Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:46 pm

smart personnn VVV
Last edited by Tat on Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
T4T

Nekiel
Spellweaver and Wordsmith

Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:48 pm

If you add another layer of the original grayscale the detail comes back. If you link me the original poseI'll do it for you c:
Edit: It's alright included in the pose, my bad.
0 x
You make loving you easy ♥
Tomorrow's another day
and I am not afraid, so bring on the rain

Azura
Pack Initiate
Pack Initiate

Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:53 pm

Ohh, would you really?? c: That would be awesome. The link is up in the copyright or here's just the direct link of the pose itself: http://i46.tinypic.com/245gh7n.png
If that's what you're asking for. xD
If you're wanting an original photoshop layer of the colored pose I'll have to re-color it because I ended up losing all the layers when my laptop unfortunately died on me and I just had a png saved.

Edit: Ok cool. ^^ Thank you!
0 x

Azura
Pack Initiate
Pack Initiate

Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:07 pm

Mm, I can see that the fur detail in general shows more, so unless I'm doing it wrong here's a visual of what I'm trying to accomplish:

1st picture is the original pose.
2nd picture is color filled in on multiply mode.
3rd picture is when I place a black background beneath those layers, giving me the original fur detail on the outside.
It's so complex that I can't cleanly cut away the color with a selection tool (the fur practically isn't recognized) and the eraser tool won't work well with it at all.
0 x

Tat

Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:09 pm

Is it possible that the detail is just super transparent and really only visible when it's a bright color or on a bg ?
0 x
T4T

Azura
Pack Initiate
Pack Initiate

Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:18 pm

Well.. no? xD
If you look at the top of the pose you can see on the original one how the fur is nicely flowing, and then when you look at my colored version of it the fur is now clumped because the color went on places that are supposed to be transparent. The reason why my color isn't totally blotchy with color is because I used the selection tool on what all I could get outside the pose and deleted the excess color. But the selection tool won't recognize lines that thin and in such numbers. (And using the eraser tool on this would be a major pain and most likely won't turn out to work very well either.)
0 x

Nekiel

Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:30 pm

Here you go. If you open the greyscale as a new layer, you can set it on top of the colored version, set it as either multiple [making it darker] or Overlay [making it lighter] then mess around with the color to to keep the detail but tone down the color difference.

It's hard to explain, but if you can understand it, it's pretty easy to do
0 x
You make loving you easy ♥
Tomorrow's another day
and I am not afraid, so bring on the rain

Azura
Pack Initiate
Pack Initiate

Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:59 pm

Thank you! <3 Even without exact original fur at the top that edit makes it look much better.
I appreciate it~ :3
0 x

Rapture
Pronouns: any
Species: dirtbag

Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:05 pm

What you need to do, is open the pose, then click new layer, then click layer > create clipping mask, if elements has that available.

Another thing you could do, is open the pose, then select all and copy, then paste (automatically onto a new layer), line them up exactly, then lock the transparency on the new layer and color over it.
0 x

a mind which never restsImage

Dragoncat

Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:20 pm

on elements, click on the pose layer, make a new layer and check the box "use previous layer to create clipping mask"

this makes a layer above the pose. set it to multiply. when you color, it will not color outside of the pose below.
0 x

fauxriarty
Pack Initiate
Pack Initiate

Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:05 am

the responses above me are pretty much saying the same thing, but i made an image to explain this method:
this should work in elements! (the image is transparent in one spot to show that this actually works haha)
0 x

• Information