*How to - Hexcolor a pose painlessly

This section is intended ONLY for topics which are no longer relevant, but may be needed for future reference.
ilobmirt
Shaman - Secret Keeper
Shaman - Secret Keeper

Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:29 pm

I'm sure most of you whom has ever tried their hand at coloring a tricolor or hexcolor pose come across the problem of fixing nasty off color pixels. For those whom don't know what a tricolor or a hexcolor pose is - a (tri/hex)color pose is a gif image that is made to replace instances of one color with a user customizable color. Tricolor images work with shades of RED, GREEN, and BLUE while hexcolor poses also work with shades of YELLOW, MAGENTA, and CYAN.

So where were we? Ah yes. dem dang nasty off-color pixels. Oooh boy did they ever get me soo mad when I first started to work with them :mad:

Here's what I mean about off color pixels. This is what happens when you generate the color pallet automatically from the source image. Note when I replace every color with pure black #000000, I still get this monstrosity above. From what I've gathered from resources all over the web, fixing those off color pixels was an elaborate shindig and aint nobody got time for that. I present to you...

Premade color tricolor and hexcolor palettes!!!

These color palettes have been passed through the tricolor tester again and again till they have passed the "set everything to either #000000 or #ffffff" test. These colors support shading and hi-lighting that make every pose pop out at you. Presented to you are a version that support shades of grey and a version that does not. Use the former if you know not everything in the pose has a color or want shades of grey in there. Use the later if you want everything to have some kind of color to it.

Tricolor pallete w/ shades of grey - Image

Tricolor pallete w/o shades of grey - Image

Hexcolor pallete w/ shades of grey - Image

Hexcolor pallete w/o shades of grey - Image

Simply save one or more of these to your computer. To use the color pallette on the gimp simply open up the file and the pallete will be ready to use for your other images. Just keep the file open , set it to the side, and forget about it.

And now we get to the fun part, making an image to a hexcolor pose. A lot of you may be artsy fartsy and make up your own greyscales. I'm not quite so artsy fartsy, so I'm going to use this free premade (found here in the Freebie Emporium. All credit goes to whomever made it) instead of embarrassing myself for my lack of 2d artistic prowess.

So I open this image up in my favorite 2d application of all time (Gimp 2.8.2 at the time of this writing) and got to work with coloring it in.

For the mostpart, it's like coloring any normal premade. I decided to add hilights to this premade to make it stand out more. A plain ol color multiply is just too flat for my tastes. Plus I wanted to make full use of the premade hexcolor pallette.

Now, I do the actual coloring. Be sure to use only Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, Magenta, or Cyan for your color layer. Either use the pencil tool to draw in these colors, or use [colors]--->[posterize...] on that layer. We cant blend between these colors as that will just simply confuse the tricolor or hexcolor image.

Now it's time to convert it to a GIF! This will be where the premade color palette will come in handy. First, merge all your layers together via Ctrl + M

And now, we shall convert the RGB image to a 256 color indexed image. Go to [Image]--->[Mode >]--->[Indexed...] and you get this dialog...

The important part is that you force it to use the premade color palette you opened up earlier before you started working on the image. Also, don't let it dither the colors at all. Trust me, it aint pretty. It will do its best to get it as close to the original RGB color pose as possible. It may not be perfect, but it will be close enough.

And there you go! Save that sucka as a .GIF image. Let's try this baby out! :smile:

Go to http://a1k3.chatlands.com/tools/sixcolor/ and point it to where you have your tricolor or hexcolor GIF image

And to double check that we've done things right first set everything to black

And now set everything to white

If you are happy and you know it, have fun and go wild with the colors! Here's what I've made by playing around with the tricolor pose tester.

The final result...

And there you have it! Hexcoloring dun good :D I hope you all enjoyed this lil tutorial as much as I have. Go out there and have some fun with this!
0 x
ImageImage
Wolfhome Awards 2013
Class Clown + Most Likely To Be A Superhero

Mitchiko
The stuff of Legends
The stuff of Legends
Pronouns: her/she
Species: bear

Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:45 pm

Excuse me you are amazing.
Ilo <3