how to color nebulas!

This section is intended ONLY for topics which are no longer relevant, but may be needed for future reference.
eliysia
Ethereal Ancestor
Ethereal Ancestor

Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:22 pm

ImageImageImage

Watch the video of how I colored it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmhT1Xdyu7A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My first tutorial! Woo!! A lot of people have been asking how I make these, so here it is!! Not too in-depth- these are very loose and I feel like it takes a lot of experimenting. There's really not one way to do it, but here's how I do it!

TIPS:

- BLEND! Your brushes should never be 100% opacity. Always keep it 80% and lower; remember, galaxys/nebulas/etc are brighter in the middle and darker around. Grab colors from where you're coloring and it will look more blended and around the same hue.

- USE MULTIPLE BRUSHES! Sticking to always one can be boring and makes your design look a little bland. Try and experiment with different brushes, strokes, etc.

- USE YOUR RESOURCES! Sometimes I'll google random galaxy images to look at before I begin to design. This helps me get a better idea of what I'd like my design to look like, and to make it look like an actual outer-space design. Don't be lazy and overlay images. Try and come up with you own designs!

- DON'T TRY AND BE PRECISE! Save the little details for later. Once you've gotten your basic concept, layer different colors, varying the lightness and darkness of your colors.

- USE LAYERS! I don't always like the way I've colored one pattern or whatever, and it would really suck if it was over an area you liked or finished. Using layers gives you the ability to easily remove and manipulate the colors- you can change the blending mode, hues, lots of things!
0 x
Layla
Ethereal Ancestor
Ethereal Ancestor

Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:26 pm

Praise the lord.
The secrets are revealed.
Bookmarks.
0 x
Riku
IT'S OVER 2 9000'S!
IT'S OVER 2 9000'S!
Pronouns: He/Him
Preferred Name: Dio

Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:28 pm

Being im a huge space nerd I really needed this??
Thank you so much I am seriously going to love to try this in the near future.
0 x
eliysia
Ethereal Ancestor
Ethereal Ancestor

Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:32 pm

I feel like I should add in a step between #4 & #5... but my video kinda covers that! I'll be making a start-to-finish video on another nebula later to give you an idea of how to color it better 8)

@Rose: LMAO youre so cute aw
@Victorian: You're so welcome!!
0 x
Squeak
Spellweaver and Wordsmith
Spellweaver and Wordsmith

Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:47 pm

I LOVE YOU.
0 x
Gone
Spirit Guide - Wise Healer
Pronouns: Any
Preferred Name: Alter / Altie / Alt
Species: Mutt

Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:06 am

;__; Thank you so much for posting this. I have always needed something like this. Galaxies<3
0 x
Art Gallery | Adopts Shop | Commissions

♡ December 28th, 2018 ♡
Alpen
Leader of the Nerds
Leader of the Nerds
Pronouns: she/her

Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:33 am

Marking 0:
0 x
starve the ego, feed the soul
12/7/15-12/17/17