pooh is a nb // transparent background

This section is intended ONLY for topics which are no longer relevant, but may be needed for future reference.
Inzi
Shaman - Secret Keeper
Shaman - Secret Keeper

Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:46 pm

Hey you guys!
Lately I've been really into arting, making poses and stuff. But the thing is.
how does one make a background transparanet without loose pixels??

Like honestly, I adore drawing. I adore making poses. But I'm not into deleting loose pixels for an hour if it turns out there's still a bunch left. :/

this for example.

someone? ;v; i'mbouttocry.
0 x

on a break.
for anyone trying to find me, my discord: iinzi#2963
Honey
Spellweaver and Wordsmith

Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:54 pm

this looks really good! what program do you use?
0 x
Inzi
Shaman - Secret Keeper
Shaman - Secret Keeper

Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:56 pm

I use SAI for basically everything, shading/coloring/outlining.

It just really bothers me how I can't give a proper pose to people tbh. ;v; like i'd do em for free but people are useless with poses like this ^
0 x

on a break.
Honey

Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:02 pm

hmm let's see
i usually would draw my picture, then go to the "Magic Wand" tool, select the outside of the drawing (the white space), then click on "selection" up at the top, then go down to "increment (1)"
this will make the selection get bigger, which makes it collect the pixels. once you've done that you can click the erase button over on your layers, and it should work!

0 x
Inzi
Shaman - Secret Keeper
Shaman - Secret Keeper

Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:05 pm

it works! using that method also means i gotta draw my lines bigger, probably? and use it before the greyscale?
0 x

on a break.
Honey

Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:08 pm

Pooh wrote:it works! using that method also means i gotta draw my lines bigger, probably? and use it before the greyscale?
Yes! Larger outlines would probably help, in the past i had to draw bigger lines just to get rid of my pixels!
But know there are still going to be a few left, and you may have to get the one or two that are laying around [:
and i would do it before the greyscale, so you wouldn't have completed the whole pose, and take a lot of time to go back and fix the line art.
just take each step slowly, and check over ever inch of your work! the more time taken on a piece, the more satisfied you'll be after it is completed c:
0 x
Ness
Spirit Guide - Wise Healer
Pronouns: any
Species: foxcat

Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:08 pm

another tip: make sure when you're selecting with the magic wand tool that you have 'anti-aliasing' checked. this will make it so even less loose pixels are selected (9 times out of 10 no loose pixels are selected at all)
though you will want to make sure anti-aliasing is unchecked any time you are doing something like pixels (aka not soft lines)
i can provide screenshots if you don't know what im talking about xP hope that helps either way
0 x
Image i'm just a believer,
that things are gonna get better
Honey

Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:10 pm

Pit wrote:another tip: make sure when you're selecting with the magic wand tool that you have 'anti-aliasing' checked. this will make it so even less loose pixels are selected (9 times out of 10 no loose pixels are selected at all)
though you will want to make sure anti-aliasing is unchecked any time you are doing something like pixels (aka not soft lines)
i can provide screenshots if you don't know what im talking about xP hope that helps either way
oop i want a screen shot bec i never heard of this before
0 x
Ness

Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:15 pm

you could also try out the color difference settings i have if yours aren't already like that :>
0 x
Inzi
Shaman - Secret Keeper
Shaman - Secret Keeper

Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:19 pm

Thanks both! now i can be a happy artist again!

/squeels
0 x

on a break.
Ness

Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:19 pm

happy to help :^)
0 x
Saeglopur
IT'S OVER 2 9000'S!
IT'S OVER 2 9000'S!

Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:28 pm

you could also draw over a background layer with a solid colour so that you can view the background occasionally to check for loose pixels against the colour. I usually use dark solid colours to see any pixels I missed. then when I'm done with the pose, I just delete the background layer
0 x
Clovette
Omniscient
Omniscient
Preferred Name: Heather
Species: Human

Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:32 pm

Try this for layers, it's very effective. You won't have to use the selection tool after you fill the colour layer.

Sooo... you see you have a background layer at the very bottom. Fill that with a dark colour so you can see loose pixels on the colour layer.

When you have your lineart, select outside then invert selection. Make a new layer under it for colour and fill that layer. You will have a few loose pixels in small places, such as sharp lines for fluff, but those are easily erasable with the eraser tool.

When you have the loose pixels on the colour layer removed, click "preserve opacity", which is an option you can check that is above the layer panel. This makes it so that you cannot colour outside of anything that is not already coloured.

When you go to shade, make a layer over the colour layer and set it to multiply mode. After that, click "clipping group", which is next to "preserve opacity". That makes it so that layer only colours on what is on the layer below it.

Hope that helps!
0 x
🐈
Inzi
Shaman - Secret Keeper
Shaman - Secret Keeper

Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:46 am

thank you so much! people on the forums are so damn nice. ;v;

//hugglesqueezes all of you

nocreepintended.
0 x

on a break.