Letter To Yourself 2018

Looking to get more involved in the community? Community events and get-togethers are added here by the Event Committee, Relations Team and the Administration.
Eventful
Event Planner
Event Planner

Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:17 am

This thread is where you can write a letter to yourself to read in the year 2019. This thread will be up for the next month, October 19th specifically, for you all to post your letters. Then this thread will be hidden for a year, and once the year is up, the letters you wrote to yourself will be sent to you at the same time next year. This was a tradition started by Azriel in 2011, and this will be its 8th year going!

It's a way to reflect on everything that has happened to you so far this year, in addition to your interests, who you are close to, what has changed, and your hopes for 2019. As Azriel said: "This should be positive, inspirational, uplifting. This is not something to bring yourself down, or bring others down. Don't trash yourself, or someone else." It can be in whatever format you would like, whether you want to make lists, or have it as an actual letter format. Here are a list of questions or topics to cover if you need inspiration:

What's your favorite song right now? Favorite movie?
Who's your best friend(s)?
Who do you want to give a shout out to?
What's the current trends that you're into right now?
What do you like to collect?
Where do you want to travel to?
What do you want to see happen overall in 2019?
Where do you see yourself at, on this date in 2019?
Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years?
What are your current goals in 2019?
What have you achieved this year so far that you want to remember?
What do you dream of doing this year?
What grade are you in?
If you're not in college yet, what kind of career do you want to have?
Where do you currently work or go to school?
What's your favorite subjects in school?
What do you like most about your job?
What do you like most about yourself right now?
What's a funny memory you don't want to forget?
What amazing thing happened to you today?
What do you aspire to be?
What advice to you have for your future self?
What is the advice you'd like to give your childhood self?
What's something you'd like to change about life?
What is one of your favorite memories of this year so far?
What did you do for your birthday? Or what do you plan to do?
What's something new you want to learn, by this time next year?
1 x
Tau
Alpha
Alpha
Species: Meat Popsicle

Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:36 pm

=)
0 x
Characters | Commissions | Premades | TOS
Previously known as Bedagi.
Mitchiko
The stuff of Legends
The stuff of Legends

Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:47 pm

Marking this!
0 x
lamp
Grandmaster - One of but a few.
Grandmaster - One of but a few.
Pronouns: any
Preferred Name: Colby
Species: alien

Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:51 pm

Spoiler! :
alright, no cringe.
What's the current trends things that you're into right now? yakuza is the raddest game series to get into. the characters are generally really good and so is the soundtrack. gokushufudou & orenchi no furo jijou are mangas that are rad too.
What do you like to collect? otome and drama cds in my files apparently bc i havent played shit.
What do you want to see happen overall in 2019? i hope youre volunteering consistently and feel a whole lot better in the mental department. how about you finish some of the games in the backlog too bitch.
What advice to you have for your future self? draw more and worry less abt things in your control, including people. you only control yourself you dumbass. allow emotions to process. its ok. its ok its ok its ok!
What's something new you want to learn, by this time next year? no otaku but learn how to read korean and/or japanese. even if its just a few more new phrases.
characters that mean the world to you: zenyatta (overwatch), moira (overwatch), kiryu (yakuza), lee (yakuza), majima (yakuza), oda (yakuza), negan (twdc), shuuichi (drv3), kaito (drv3), zen (myme), saeran (myme), shigaraki (gugure kokkuri-san), wakasa (orenchi), takasu (orenchi), agari (orenchi), tatsumi (orenchi), ((ok honestly i just like the entire cast)), kiibo (drv3), luke (the letter), mui (drv3), togami (dr), souda (sdr2), zackary (angels of death), ikki (amneisa), damien (monster prom), interdimensional prince (monster prom), papyrus (undertale),
games that mean the world to you: lieat, angels of death, kokurase, yakuza 0 (+ entire series), lake of voices, hakuoki, nightshade, amnesia: memories, corinne cross's dead & breakfast, ayakashi gohan, danganronpa (entire series), the letter, noel the mortal fate, zero escape (entire series), anything made by cheritz,
hmm
1 x
Dodam
Shaman - Secret Keeper
Shaman - Secret Keeper
Pronouns: She/Her
Preferred Name: Jo

Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:11 pm

Marking as well to remind me to do this 💛
0 x
- Rasengan

On break.
Previously Shii
Dodam on Chat
References | General Commissions | Fullybody Human Commissions | Quick Commissions | DeviantArt | Premades
"We'll never win if we don't believe we can."
LUX
Adept Protector
Adept Protector

Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:17 pm

This is neat, i'll have to do this too!!
0 x
Lux or Comet on chats.
Characters
sammie
Event Committee
Event Committee

Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:01 pm

marking for myselfff
0 x
Ask me how it feels, looking like hell on wheels.
| contact | characters | past names |
| "Where'd Sammie Go?" |
SDS ♡
Takatia
I VOLUNTEER AS TRIBUTE
I VOLUNTEER AS TRIBUTE
Species: Fox

Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:09 pm

glad to see this back!
1 x
Said I would've walked across any thousand lands. I didn't need you that night, not gonna need you anytime.
Was gonna take it as it goes I could go forward in the light.

Tau
Alpha
Alpha

Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:22 pm

Bump
0 x
Hierophant
Spellweaver and Wordsmith
Spellweaver and Wordsmith
Preferred Name: Claire or Brennus
Species: Degenerate

Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:46 pm

Marking
0 x

So baby, welcome back to the man you've been missing
Baby, welcome back to confusing, perplexing
01-30-2017 & 09-04-2018

Mitchiko
The stuff of Legends
The stuff of Legends

Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:46 am

Mitchiko wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:47 pm
Marking this!
Here we go!
Spoiler! :
Dear 2019 Lauren

It feels SO weird to even address 2019 when I'm still getting used to being in 2018 (and it's nearly October whoops). However, I'm super excited to know how you're getting on. I read last year's letter from 2017 when I was watching Rain Man on the sofa with John. In that letter I had only just begun my third year at university and I was excited to know how it went and if I graduated with the grades I wanted. I'm sure you remember just fine, but I'll jog your memory with this year's events. Disclaimer however: Idk if you'll remember but we both have a terrible flu rn so everything I'm writing feels like I'm writing it through a fog lmao

Third year was hard. However, you produced your dissertation, got some of the highest grades you've ever received, resulting in a first class, and won an award for excellence in English. You graduated last week (you wore that CollectIf dress), and even though you are very proud, it will forever be known as the day of death migraine-wise. Couple weeks before that you started your new job as a teacher and you love it so far! Very nervous about all the new-ness, but your colleagues are fantastic and supportive. I would love to know how Year One went, I really hope you're still enjoying it and having the time of your life! It's approaching November, the anniversary of losing him. It's still difficult to address sometimes, but he supported your education more than anything, remember that he was so so proud of you. I really miss him right now. I know you still do.

John has been your absolute rock as always, and he shows you every day how important you are to him. I don't even have to wonder if he'll still be with you, because I know he will be. We're both getting our first wages of our new jobs this week, and we're starting to get excited about "the future" which you are in. He keeps saying exciting things which give me goosebumps, and the last couple of days I've been looking at houses. We're getting a saving plan in place, I hope you guys stuck to it!!

- I just took a huge break from writing this to listen to music, browse stuff I wanna get with my paycheck, and to answer some emails. Can't wait to get stuck in with students next week!

I'm just so intrigued about where you are right now. A big fear is when your mentor leaves next year and you become a mentor to next years' teacher, but I bet you're more comfortable with what is expected of you now. It all just seems so confusing right now, your mentor's folder is immaculate - I'm going to sort that out this weekend hopefully! I'm also excited about your life...I don't want to say anything just in case it's all slow-going, but if I'm wanting it all right now, I can only imagine how impatient you are! Hang in there ;) GiveJohnandWaddlesalltheloves. I NEED TO KNOW WHAT'S GOIN' ON AGH.
RN I'm also planning the dreaded microteach, it's amazing that you already know how that went. Here's hoping it went well!

Right, I'm gonna do the prompt thingies

What's your favorite song right now?
Can't pick a favourite but right now I'm listening to Why Can't We Be Friends - The Academic
I also love The Kill - 30 Seconds to Mars
My Name is Human - Highly Suspect
Ghost - Mystery Skulls

Favorite movie?
Can't do this either omg but you're watching a lot of Sky Cinema stuff. Didn't watch anything at the cinema recently except for The Incredibles 2 which is AMAZING.

JohnandWaddles
but also Richard and Abby and Nathan and a smattering of other people who are all incredibly important

erm the obvious! the people I love most in the world my bears and my fam <3

What's the current trends that you're into right now?
ASMR eating videos and staying afloat financially

paper weights (but not for a long time)
special coins (I love my Hamlet one)
all kinds of disney/studio ghibli/grim fandango + other fandom memorabilia

JAPAN

bIG lIFE thINGs
but also just for things to keep getting better and not worse hopefully

Starting the second academic year in my job and mentoring a new person and sorting out timetables and STUFF is this totally wrong? :')

5 years? That'd make me nearly 28 years old so I'm gonna just
I really hope I'm moved out and married and settled in a career I'm really happy in, maybe thinking about or already have kids idk

10 years MY EARLY THIRTIES GOOD LORD hopefully very settled and happy and making sure I still make time for myself and hobbies

smash me job, smash my postgraduate, and save money

All the stuff I wrote above! Overcoming all the challenges thrown at me and smashing my degree! Graduation day! Every single day with my family is worth remembering <3

2019? Again, don't wanna jinx that one by writing it down but I would love to find myself a little more, and give myself more slack.

What grade are you in?
Just graduated! now in postgrad education

If you're not in college yet, what kind of career do you want to have?
I'm teachin innit

Where do you currently work or go to school?
my hometown <3

English and Art always
but to expand, I love me a bit of Stylistics and Sociolinguistics

What do you like most about your job?
Helping people

My confidence is finally blooming.

DING DING DING! you're wrong

You know what, even though I have the flu, I woke up feeling like I'd had the best sleep ever for AGES

Growing

Remember this enthusiasm, this confidence, this life. Remember your independence, your self-motivation and your love of life. Remember never to take any of this for granted.

Everything is going to be alright. Self-reflect and remember who you really want to be, not what others want from you. It's okay to say no, it's okay to be sensitive, it's okay to be unapologetically yourself.

What's something you'd like to change about life?
m o r t a l i t y
& migraines oh god

What is one of your favorite memories of this year so far?
I hate picking favourites because there's too many :(

What did you do for your birthday? Or what do you plan to do?
I went to Bella Italia! I dunno what I'll do this year but likely something involving pasta.

What's something new you want to learn, by this time next year?
how to felt properly goddamn

Take care <3
1 x
Tau
Alpha
Alpha

Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:29 pm

get them letters typed up and submitted! =D
0 x
Tau
Alpha
Alpha

Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:57 am

Tau wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:29 pm
get them letters typed up and submitted! =D
0 x
Tau
Alpha
Alpha

Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:47 am

Only 2 people have participated so far! Get them letters typed up for your future self!
0 x
Dodam
Shaman - Secret Keeper
Shaman - Secret Keeper
Pronouns: She/Her
Preferred Name: Jo

Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:38 pm

Coughs
Spoiler! :
Hey you,

I know you're still going to end up experiencing some troubles, but I hope you continue to never give up on yourself and on your dreams and goals. I know there will be times when you wont recognize that you have taken so many steps to becoming a much better person. You were a really timid person in the past year(s), but because you decided to have more courage, you've been able to experience so many more things and have given yourself so many opportunities to greater things. If you ever doubt yourself, know that it was you and you alone who did all these things. I'm sure you'll pull through, you have a lot of spirit.

As for some of the questions, I wanna see what changes sooo:

What's your favorite song right now? Favorite movie?
None in particular at the moment, but The City by Madeon always comes to mindd so maybe that?
For my favorite movie, I guess it's Whisper of the Heart!

Man I have so many. One of them I guess no longer is though

TAU for being such an amazing person ♥

These days, in cons, it's definitely keychains and buttons!!

Gah as always. Japan, US, and the UK!

A lot of chances for me to booth at conventions!!

Still working hard on my 3rd year (actually 5th year if I add up what I was initially before transferring uhu)

Really difficult, but I see myself of course working, but it still wont really be what I truly wanna do or be: an illustrator/animator. I know I'll need to take another job for sure to be able to sustain myself cause maannn the artist life is difficult.

To be able to booth at cons, meet new people, and as always stay the same me that I currently am.

I stepped up and joined an illustration org. I normally don't like joining orgs from my current uni as I've heard a lot about the people, but the org I joined has a few decent ones and they offer so many chances for me to grow as an artist.

I honestly dream of being able to booth at cons but I have no money so. Hahaha

At the moment it definitely has to be Figure Drawing and Photography!

Right now more than ever I want to be so much more productive and try new things. I used to just want to stay at home all the time (well I still do) but now every time some new event/opportunity arises I actually get excited and find ways to take them.

Haha yesterday I accidentally placed sausages on someone else's cart at the grocery store and the man looked at me with a smile and was kinda like ??? and knew I made a mistake and I just sort of made a fool out of myself in front of him and apologized for being so very sleep deprived lmao!!!!!! I still cringe!!!!!!!!!

Gosh we prepared for my parent's golden anniversary and successfully surprised them! They loved it so much and my mom even cried. If anything, we were able to make their 50th year together soooo memorable and that's just the part that makes me so happy.

The person I was destined to be. Also of course an self-sustaining illustrator/animator vaGqrgwgg man I wish.

Keep on working hard and just never give up. You're doing great

There are still so many things you can do. You don't recognize them because your world is still so small, but you are capable of so much more than you think! Also, always remember to be you and never change for others. Always be kind. Never take people for granted.
1 x
- Rasengan

On break.
Previously Shii
Dodam on Chat
References | General Commissions | Fullybody Human Commissions | Quick Commissions | DeviantArt | Premades
"We'll never win if we don't believe we can."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic