Trigger Warning's for Sensitive Topics [Discussion: Closed]

Old announcement of past promotion rounds and updates to Wolfhome.
Locked Previous topicNext topic
Sylvah
Leader of the Nerds
Leader of the Nerds

Discussion Status: Closed

Hey, Everyone!

The Administration is seeking your help in implementing when to use Trigger Warnings for sensitive topics specifically! This is something that we want to have the community help with, bring your thoughts & opinions into it so it's not just our eyes here. The more the merrier, and we thought bringing you all into the mix for this would be a great opportunity to expand on ideas for what will be acceptable and what will not. I'll list below what we currently have drafted up, and we would love to hear your thoughts. It's important to us that we keep you all involved & informed on certain regulations we want to implement officially.

Here is what we currently have listed and if you have any other ideas, please feel free to comment below and we can definitely discuss it together. Please remember to also keep the discussions civil, and a reminder that not everyone will have the same opinions or thoughts on an idea, and that's okay. We all have different noodles, and that's why this is a great opportunity to hear all sides from our community. If there's something that you think should not be placed under a spoiler/TW, or something you think should be, please voice your opinion(s)!
Unacceptable regardless of Trigger Warnings: (things we will immediately remove if posted)
  • Suicide or Self-harm
  • Detailed Sexual Assault
  • Talk of Substance Abuse or Alcoholism
  • Animal Harm or Mistreatment
Things we will Allow under Spoilers/TW:
  • Body or Gender Dysphoria, Disassociation, & Depersonalization
  • Eating Disorders
  • Depression, Symptoms or Episodes of Mental Anguish/Illness
  • Violence, Physical or Emotional Abuse
  • Pregnancy and/or Related Issues - (while pregnancy is natural, this is a real trigger for some called tokophobia)
  • Injuries & Body Trauma
  • Military Combat
When posting a sensitive topic with a Trigger Warning, it is mandatory to specify what it is above the spoiler.
Example: Trigger Warning: (What it is here) and then the spoilered content underneath.
Thank you all in advance for taking the time to post your thoughts on the matter. This is important to us, and would like to make sure all bases are covered for sensitive topics such as the ones listed above. Furthermore, making sure our community is comfortable with these guidelines, and ensuring we have a solid list that is clear & concise to what is acceptable or unacceptable.

Please Note: If anyone does not feel comfortable leaving their opinion/thoughts on this thread publicly, please don't hesitate to reach out to myself or another Administrator through Private Message. We still value all responses, whether it's voiced publicly or privately, and all will be taken into consideration! You may view all members of the Administration here.

All the best,
The Wolfhome Administration
Co-Owner & Alpha of Olympus
Come check it out & join our community Discord today!

checkout my ➛ art thread, commissions, & colouring services
view my ➛ links & important information
trello ➛ to-do list commissions
Prior Wolfhome Alpha

17.7.18 | 8.11.19
shifterdarkwolf
Omega - Newcomer
Omega - Newcomer

It may be a good idea, if possible, to implement a flair system not dissimilar to what you see on some other forums and Reddit. Add a required flair field when making a new post, have common regular opinions (art, discussion, bug, etc) and also a section of trigger warning flairs. This will prevent people from accidently (or intentionally, should some people be jerks) forgoing the trigger warning as well as make certain people aware that certain topics that they don't consider trigger warnings are to certain readers. This will have 2 outcomes, first, by taking the onus off the poster to remember to label it, second it will enlighten people about sensitive issues that they may not have experienced in the same way as others.

By making it mandatory, there is a significantly smaller chance that something with triggering content slips through without a warning and that is the goal. Mistakes happen, never assign malice to something that can be explained with incompetence (not used in the negative way, just the factual way). And if someone ignores it and posts sensative content without warning, they can't hide behind it being a mistake when they were required to choose a flair for the topic.
Sylvah
Leader of the Nerds
Leader of the Nerds

shifterdarkwolf wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:10 pm
It may be a good idea, if possible, to implement a flair system not dissimilar to what you see on some other forums and Reddit. Add a required flair field when making a new post, have common regular opinions (art, discussion, bug, etc) and also a section of trigger warning flairs. This will prevent people from accidently (or intentionally, should some people be jerks) forgoing the trigger warning as well as make certain people aware that certain topics that they don't consider trigger warnings are to certain readers. This will have 2 outcomes, first, by taking the onus off the poster to remember to label it, second it will enlighten people about sensitive issues that they may not have experienced in the same way as others.

By making it mandatory, there is a significantly smaller chance that something with triggering content slips through without a warning and that is the goal. Mistakes happen, never assign malice to something that can be explained with incompetence (not used in the negative way, just the factual way). And if someone ignores it and posts sensative content without warning, they can't hide behind it being a mistake when they were required to choose a flair for the topic.
I love the idea of a flair system, I think that would be really great. Personally the tech side of things aren't my area of expertise, but this is something I'd love to bring up to UD if we can implement that with our forum system. Thank you for this lovely & constructive suggestion, I'll look into this and see if it's something we could potentially have in the longterm. Hopefully, if we are unable to do what was suggested, that the above guideline(s) are adequate.

Prior Wolfhome Alpha

17.7.18 | 8.11.19
MekoMoon
Achievement got: Your first post
Achievement got: Your first post

I don't know if this would be really a 'trigger' warning for sensitive topics but regardless should be added to something that is a mandatory warning. If someone's sniff/a video is their sniff has flashing/strobing lights for those with photosensitivity and epilepsy.
Sylvah
Leader of the Nerds
Leader of the Nerds

MekoMoon wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:49 am
I don't know if this would be really a 'trigger' warning for sensitive topics but regardless should be added to something that is a mandatory warning. If someone's sniff/a video is their sniff has flashing/strobing lights for those with photosensitivity and epilepsy.
Hey, MekoMoon! Thank you for bringing this up, we do actually have guidelines for chat content such as sniffs. In our Wolfhome Rules page it states at the top under Profile Content that it must adhere to the rules below, and specifically in Rule #1: Inappropriate Content - the last bullet point mentions epilepsy. We are also going to be making this rule more clear so it is less vague, but it is still mentioned in our rules for chat sniffs! Hopefully that clears it up for you! I’ll provide the link to our rules below for you to look over.

http://www.wolfhome.com/faq/rules.php

This thread is specifically for the forum content topics for trigger warnings, but if you ever see anything you think should be changed or updated for anything else, please don’t hesitate to bring it up to any of our Administrators! We love to hear from you all.

Thank you!

Prior Wolfhome Alpha

17.7.18 | 8.11.19
Sylvah
Leader of the Nerds
Leader of the Nerds

It is nearing 2 weeks tomorrow since this discussion thread was created and we're confident with what people have brought forward thus far & that what we currently have listed in the main post will suffice.
This will be added into our Forum Rules. We will also update this thread here with what has been added into the Forum Rules specifically. With no further comments or concerns brought forward, this discussion is now closed. Thank you to everyone who contributed, it is much appreciated!

Prior Wolfhome Alpha

17.7.18 | 8.11.19
Locked Previous topicNext topic